need some advice on 2 dogs that will not stop scratching.NOT FLEAS

adorable

Songster
12 Years
Aug 7, 2007
near ottawa ontario
I have 3 dogs. 2 beagles and a jack russell.They are my babies. Last year at this time ,I had this problem with just the 2 beagles. They are chewing and scratching alot. Driving me in sane. Went to the vets. gave them advantage and pretazone.sp.I am not to sure which one worked. but it did.....Didnt think any more about. Till this year.Again going threw the same thing again. I looked up when last year then went. It was the exact time frame as of last year. SO i was thinking maybe it was alllergies ....So the vets again. Put both on pretazone.sp. Worked for 3 days ....Thats it. I didnt give them the advantage because that do have flees. ect. How can i stop this. The think is they mostly chew on the feet and up the legs. They dont chew their be hinds. But they are chewing enought that they are bleeding from it. I keep checking. My jack russell dosnt have this problem and she sleeps with them and likes to clean their faces. lol. The same food. They are on no grain dog food. orijen. No bathing...did that last year. Just dried out more. I dont know what to think. As i recalled last year ,when the first frost hit. THey stop itiching. I feal sorry for them. WHen you touch there side. Their legs start going...Which is normal from nerves,but more senitive now ...

I was going to say allergies, too. I'm not sure if it's the same med. or not, but I was put on prednizone for an allergic reaction before, but it's not a long term thing, it's to stop the reaction right then. I'd be asking the vet to put them on continual allergy meds during this time of year.

I am a groomer and we get alot of dogs that have that type of problem. If they don't have fleas, the more than likely it is allergies of some type. Have you used anything different as far as cleaning supplies? We had a dog come in last week with his skin hot to touch and raw from a reaction from carpet powder (the kind to make it smell good). Some dogs are just more sensitive than others. I have been fortunate not to have those issues with my dogs. If you do bathe, make sure to use an oatmeal shampoo. Also if you can get a good oatmeal conditioner as well. I hope this helps some
smile.png

It sounds like a skin allergy, fungal problem or bacteria like mange and the prednisone probally helped but every time you use it your body remembers it and needs to be on it longer. I realy don't think allergy since they all have it. The best product I have found for dog dermatitis is something called Happy Jack shampoo. It is not cheap, runs for about 18.oo bottle at tsc. Try the shampoo, it's good for fungal, bacterial and skin allergies. Now if you can't afford the hj, buy some iodine wash. It's in the equine section and try that, might discolor your dog if a light color for the first wash but will get rid of what affecting them.

DUN CHICK,,, Not all my dogs have it. As i mentioned that my jack russell dosnt ....I will check for that kind of shampoo. The happy jack.thanks for the quick replies.

oops. I just looked at the bottle from the vets. They are small pink pills. vanectyl that is what it is called. Just remember i am in ontario. SO the med will be different than us. ect.

this time of year dogs get really dry skin. when we took zeus R.I.P toget a nice bath they used a skin coditioner with zink and it helped alot

Back
Top Bottom