1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need some advice on some good settin hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mycountrycabin, Apr 29, 2008.

1. mycountrycabin

mycountrycabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    rockingham,N.C.
    i would like to know what standerd breed chickens sit the best?

2. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    My buff Orpingtons would rather sit than lay!

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I've heard a lot of good things about the broodiness of buff orps, cochins, japanese bantams, and Old English Games. I can't tell you for sure on any of them, since mine aren't old enough to lay or brood yet, but I did get some BO's and cochins for that purpose. I guess I'll just have to wait and see, but I've heard those breeds are excellent setters!!!

4. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

I have to say that my cochins and OEG hens are better going broody than any of my big hens.

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    For broody hens. I've heard of Silkies. Orps and a few others i cant think of. But. if you want a real good broody hen. And a hen that can protect the biddies well (if you dont take them away) You cant go wrong with Old english game bantams (their a bit small to run something off though. And can only hatch about. 10 eggs maybe). But you cant go wrong with american games. (the large fowl), Only problem is most of the hens. Are not to be messed with when they have biddies. their real protective. (i raise gamefowl. Or used to now just OEGB's.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by