Need some advice please. One of my silkie hens passed away, at least 1 other in poor health.

Apr 24, 2021
Southern Missouri
Found one of our silkie hens that we have had for a little over a week had passed away early this morning. Not sure what happened exactly because there were a number of things that could have happened. I got them September the 6th. I drove 3 hours to pay for and pick up the 7 hens and the man threw in a golden sebright roo for free. The sebright is really aggressive towards us and the man was honest about his temperament. When I got them back home I didn't look them over thoroughly (1st mistake). I quarantined them away from my other birds as soon as I got them home. I didn't catch an infestation of lice until 5 days later, they also had super long nails that had begun to twist and point up or curl under. They smelled like ammonia but only faintly and that cleared up after a dust bath or two. We did bathe them as soon as we noticed the lice and 2 of the 7 girls were under weight and had mucus running out of their noses. The bath water was just warmer than luke warm with just enough blue dawn dish soap to make a few bubbles. I didn't want to over do it. I applied DE to them after a blow dry to get the lice that the soapy water didn't get. I clipped their nails and was thoroughly disgusted by how poorly these babies were taken care of before coming to me (an assumption of mine, I can't prove it). I wiped the noses of the birds who had a runny nose and put vet rx on the beaks of all of the birds. I added a higher protein feed to their food. Unsure if I should add anything else as I am new to this. I wonder if I should give them nutri drench or poultry cell? I can't stand it when I lose one. I've lost 2 chicks and 2 hens since April. 2 of the 4 TSC silkie chicks, Cocoa and Silvia, passed when they were just a few days old. 1 of my black australorps, Xena, passed because of coccidiosis and this poor silkie hen that just passed. Thank you in advance for your time.

I am so sorry this is happening to you! I think you should give a full explanation of your set up. Pics of the housing and the birds, tell us what you feed and when, how old is everyone, are they vaccinated for mereks, is their feed medicated, everything you can think of. Maybe there's something going on that connects it all.

Runny noses in newly acquired chickens is a sign of a respiratory disease. They may have brought that from the previous home along with the lice. DE also can irritate the nostrils of both you and the chickens. Permethrin spray or dust can treat lice if used twice at 10 day intervals, when new ones hatch. If you lose another chicken, send the body to your state vet for a necropsy to see if there is a chronic respiratory disease such as MG, or if they have infectious bronchitis. Your other birds are in danger of getting sick, because if the new ones have a disease, they can be carriers.

We are building their coop today, we thought they could go in with the other hens but after the runny noses I think they need their own house. Previous owner could not give me an exact age on them and said they are between 10 and 12 months old. A few are laying for me but I don't know which ones are doing it. The eggs are beautifully shaped and shells are nice yolks look normal. The sebright roo is in the same area with them and he is "last years bird." No accurate age on him either. Silkies were vaccinated for Mareks by previous owner and on medicated grower feed until they started laying then switched to layer crumbles. I do not know the brands he used. Right now they are in my garage where it the temperature is between 70 degrees fahrenheit (night) and 75 degrees fahrenheit (day). I have them in my wire play pen that I got from tractor supply because I'm short on space. It is a 4ft wide x 4ft deep x 4ft tall area. They have not free ranged or been outside yet. We leave the door open and let them explore, under close watch, while we clean so they aren't in that space all the time. We clean the area and change the bedding and water as needed: as often as every 4-8 hours, depending on how dirty it is. We are cleaning their waterer and feeder each time before we refill. They are washed in dawn dish soap and white vinegar in hot water and rinsed in hot running water. There is never any residue left on them. The food we started feeding them initially was 16% layer crumbles with small portions of grain added. I top dress their food now with some game bird crumbles that are 30% protein (to help with weight and feathers.) We normally wet our food down to a mash, but I haven't done this because I didn't want it stuck to their beaks or over their nose. They get oyster shell and crushed granite grit as well. We have a 5 quart plastic waterer and a fence feeder for them and I have seen them all eating and drinking happily. I had not been adding anything to the water at all, just fresh water, although now I'm thinking they may need electrolytes just in case. We have Manna Pro Poultry Protector spray from TSC, we only sprayed the floor in and around the area they are in and let it dry before putting bedding down and put them back in. I did not spray it directly on the birds though. If there is anything else I can add that will help you help me please let me know, I just lost my train of thought. Thank you. I will add pictures when I can figure out how to get them on the computer from my phone. My app on my phone keeps closing. I linked to the brand specific foods and consumables as well as bedding and such so you can see.

We are building their coop today, we thought they could go in with the other hens but after the runny noses I think they need their own house. Previous owner could not give me an exact age on them and said they are between 10 and 12 months old. A few are laying for me but I don't know which ones are doing it. The eggs are beautifully shaped and shells are nice yolks look normal. The sebright roo is in the same area with them and he is "last years bird." No accurate age on him either. Silkies were vaccinated for Mareks by previous owner and on medicated grower feed until they started laying then switched to layer crumbles. I do not know the brands he used. Right now they are in my garage where it the temperature is between 70 degrees fahrenheit (night) and 75 degrees fahrenheit (day). I have them in my wire play pen that I got from tractor supply because I'm short on space. It is a 4ft wide x 4ft deep x 4ft tall area. They have not free ranged or been outside yet. We leave the door open and let them explore, under close watch, while we clean so they aren't in that space all the time. We clean the area and change the bedding and water as needed: as often as every 4-8 hours, depending on how dirty it is. We are cleaning their waterer and feeder each time before we refill. They are washed in dawn dish soap and white vinegar in hot water and rinsed in hot running water. There is never any residue left on them. The food we started feeding them initially was 16% layer crumbles with small portions of grain added. I top dress their food now with some game bird crumbles that are 30% protein (to help with weight and feathers.) We normally wet our food down to a mash, but I haven't done this because I didn't want it stuck to their beaks or over their nose. They get oyster shell and crushed granite grit as well. We have a 5 quart plastic waterer and a fence feeder for them and I have seen them all eating and drinking happily. I had not been adding anything to the water at all, just fresh water, although now I'm thinking they may need electrolytes just in case. We have Manna Pro Poultry Protector spray from TSC, we only sprayed the floor in and around the area they are in and let it dry before putting bedding down and put them back in. I did not spray it directly on the birds though. If there is anything else I can add that will help you help me please let me know, I just lost my train of thought. Thank you. I will add pictures when I can figure out how to get them on the computer from my phone. My app on my phone keeps closing. I linked to the brand specific foods and consumables as well as bedding and such so you can see.
This all sounds good and very clean! It sounds like it is just a respiratory disease they already had and that you are not contributing to it. I am not an expert, though. @azygous @aart can you all help with the illness aspect?

Poultry Protector is not a product that will treat your coop during a lice or mite outbreak. Gordon’s or Martin’s Permethrin 10 is a good product in 8 ounces and up. It is mixed with water according to label directions and used with either a spray bottle or garden sprayer on chickens or the coop, nests, and roosts. There is a ready mix spray for horses as well. The permethrin garden dust is preferred during cold weather. Since they have not been out on the ground yet, it would be good to bring in a piece of sod and grass every few days to introduce them to the soil. They need to be exposed to coccidia in the soil to build up a gradual resistance. Many of us do this with baby chicks to expose them gradually.

It sounds like you are taking good care of them. They have a better home than before. They may be a little crowded in their present area of 4x4, especially with an ornery little rooster. Good luck with them and we are looking forward to pictures.

Just a quick update: The hens are doing better. I have added electrolytes to their water and separated the rooster from them. They are happier and even laid me another egg. I've been cleaning their beaks and unplugging when needed. One had her eye matted shut and one side of her nose plugged this morning. Scared me. I think I figured out how to add pictures so I will add those tomorrow since it is so late here. God bless you and thank you for your advice!

Here are some pics of the silkie hens and the pen they are in. We opened the garage door this afternoon so they could get some extra sunlight. They are improving. Such sweet little babies. Still building the coop and run. When we plan to do something and get it done in a day, it never happens lol. It will hopefully be done in a few days though, we have the floor, all framework for roof and walls and egg box done and 3 sides on it. Just need to get it finished :). As advised we have been bringing in bits of grass and sod as well and they have been treated with permethrin to battle the lice.
VideoCapture_20210919-123256.jpg
VideoCapture_20210919-123341.jpg
VideoCapture_20210919-123355.jpg
VideoCapture_20210919-123536.jpg
VideoCapture_20210919-123609.jpg
VideoCapture_20210919-123630.jpg
VideoCapture_20210919-123709.jpg
VideoCapture_20210919-123852.jpg
20210919_122122.jpg
20210919_122205.jpg
20210919_122232.jpg

They're such fluff balls.

How is their overall condition? Are they starting to put on weight? Silkies can be really sensitive to vitamin deficiencies, so I'd keep with the supplements or add something like Apple cider vinegar to their water for a while.

Aside from checking their noses, bathing one or two a day on rotation might help. I know how long it takes to get them dry again afterward.

Soaping up isn't really problematic, though I'd recommend tear-free Baby shampoo or cat/dog shampoo instead of dish soap. Also, dissolving some Epsom salt into the bath and letting them get a nice warm soak seems to do wonders for their health. (And hopefully all the steam will loosen up that gunk in their noses) My silkie's always at her happiest after a nice warm bath and purs up a storm.

It sounds like you're on top of things, just keep them isolated and keep track of their health. If anyone seems worse off than the others, you can dedicate a bit of extra tlc. Sounds like these girls deserve to be pampered for a bit.

Let us know how things go!

They're such fluff balls.

How is their overall condition? Are they starting to put on weight? Silkies can be really sensitive to vitamin deficiencies, so I'd keep with the supplements or add something like Apple cider vinegar to their water for a while.

Aside from checking their noses, bathing one or two a day on rotation might help. I know how long it takes to get them dry again afterward.

Soaping up isn't really problematic, though I'd recommend tear-free Baby shampoo or cat/dog shampoo instead of dish soap. Also, dissolving some Epsom salt into the bath and letting them get a nice warm soak seems to do wonders for their health. (And hopefully all the steam will loosen up that gunk in their noses) My silkie's always at her happiest after a nice warm bath and purs up a storm.

It sounds like you're on top of things, just keep them isolated and keep track of their health. If anyone seems worse off than the others, you can dedicate a bit of extra tlc. Sounds like these girls deserve to be pampered for a bit.

Let us know how things go!
The sneezing and what sounded like cluck hiccups have calmed down. They are starting to chatter a little more. I had 3 eggs in there this time. All the eggs are looking good. They are starting to gain a little weight, some faster than others (pecking order). I was iffy about the dawn dish soap because of the oils in their feathers. That is why I didn't use so much. I didn't think about the epsom salt in the moment, but I will definitely add that to their bath. The bath rotation is a must, thank you for the suggestion. Would a shampoo like this one be ok you think? I use this one for my dogs all the time, leaves their coats shiny and soft. I don't wanna use it if it could hurt them, so I will get some tear-free Baby Shampoo to keep on hand as well. Thank you ☺️.

Back
Top Bottom