need some advice....please

jkm

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
Forest Grove
I have a small back yard coop, and had four chickens. The barred rocks went to a new home becuase they very very noisy,,, one was broody. Now I wish I had kept her, I wanted to hatch eggs one time, for a fun project, these are pet birds..

I have two BOs left, and four chicks of different ages, 8-12 weeks ,a comet, GSL, and 2 GLW .

I like the buffies best, if I can convince one of the buffies to get broody by leaving eggs in the box, how many eggs should I put under her? 6 or 12?
If I get chicks I want to keep 2 pullets and rehome the GSL and Comet in a few months. They like to fly and are teaching the GLW to fly.... my mom is not happy, as I rebuild the day run again. the buffs just don't like to fly for fun.

Its august in Oregon, occ hot day, winter hits here in November, is it too late for this to work?

My upper coop / night box is big enough for five fat hens, I have the two buffies and all the chicks sharing it, with no problems. The coop run is 13 x 4, outer day run is 10 x 15.

How long will it take for Miss Buffy to get broody? I have one that just loves to sit in the box for an hour every morning, then shows up in the run.
when the BR went broody, she just disapearred!

I marked two eggs with a pen, so I know which ones are the decoys. When do I quit this plan?

I have read a lot of the posts on broody hens and chicks , I have a large dog crate to move buffy into, and an pen arrangement to protect chciks until bad weather starts.
thoughts and advice welcomne

cheers

duh LOL- now I'm with you.... I'm still new to the chicken thing and haven't gotten used to the whole idea of buying fertilized eggs instead of raising them from scratch :) Good luck with your project!

It might be wise to have an incubator as well... you have no guarantee at all that your broody will still BE broody when shipped eggs arrive...
wink.png

Good luck,

Pat

I don't know how to make your buff go broody, my ducks will go broody if I leave their eggs in the nest for more than a day (considering I have to find it each time, they usually have them in there for a few days!) but I just found my EGH that was missing...she had 5 little fluffies peeping along after her
smile.png
I was so excited!!!

Back
Top Bottom