Need some advice :)

Oct 20, 2020
Hi chicken parents! ,
so I’m new to chicken keeping. I will be getting my new baby chicks in the spring ( so excited 🥰) my husband built me this beautiful coop and run This summer ! As I plan to not free range( but occasionally let them out by creating a temp fence around my gardens )..But my issue is the neighbour behind me just recently got chickens too ! We live in a tiny town and our houses are close to each other and they have chosen to let their chickens free range. they go all over my yard sometimes - I don’t have a problem with them free ranging at all! But I just want to make sure that their chickens don’t bother mine/stress them out - I know chicken Diseases can spread quickly as-well so I really don’t what them to interact at all! I plan on putting up mesh deer fencing inbetween our yards. I have disgust it with my neighbour as well :) So we can make this work for the both of us ! but my concern is , will their chickens still stress my chickens out, because they can still see each other at the fence lines ? Or would they just eventually get use to each other ?... any advice would be greatly appreciated :) - note: coop isn’t. Completely don’t yet :) lots to do on the inside still :) but I love it 🥰 so
greatful for this lovely coop !
9D0EF8EC-0C7A-4B1C-903D-70963E1554EA.jpeg

2782C564-A4B3-4861-9031-A28D9921E836.jpeg

Welcome to Backyard Chickens what a great looking coop did he put ventilation in it as in air pockets or soffits ? that do not blow on the birds?

Okay , Hopfully they all stay healthy then :( thanks for the info :)

The risk is rather low as long as no one goes getting grown or half grown birds from auctions, swaps or does the feeling sorry for the poor sickly birds in some ad they respond to.

If the neighbour birds are free ranging around your run on your property, then your chicks may get jealous that they can't get out too. 😉 When a couple of mine are out and the ones left inside the run are not happy. If you get the fence between the properties, then your chickens will get used to them being "over there" in their own space.

However, as previously mentioned, disease transmission doesn't recognize fences. There are several infections that travel on the wind or can be transported between the properties on boots, or wild critters travelling back and forth. Meet with your neighbour and make sure you are both getting healthy birds from reputable places.

Good luck. Your coop is awesome! :) And welcome to BYC! :frow

There's a house up the road from us that free ranges occasionally. They're not close so they never cross our property but my rooster hears them crow and that inspires him to crow too. I think they'll probably respond to seeing other chickens at first especially if they can get close and if you both have roosters. But I would expect them to get used to each other.

Welcome BTW! Pretty coop, you're gonna have some happy chickens! :)

Back
Top Bottom