Need some advice

jack14319

Hatching
Mar 19, 2024
Hi everyone! This is my second hatch ever. My first hatch was chicken eggs which went alright. I thought I'd try my hand at hatching duck eggs this time. All the eggs were from our own flock. On day 0 (incubator reading), I set 42 eggs and then 6 eggs the day after for a total of 48.

On day 25 (incubator reading), I disabled the turner and placed the eggs on the hatcher. During then I noticed one of the eggs had already externally pipped and feared I may have shrunk wrapped that egg. My first hatch had 2 shrink wraps due to opening and closing the bator multiple times, so I learned my lesson not to do that. I thought if I increase the humidity maybe the membrane might moisten and so for 2 hours I brought the humidity up to 80% and then let it naturally drop to 68-70% where it has been since then. Good news, that duckling hatched but it is day 26 now and I am not seeing any more external pips at all since that hatch.

During the incubation period, there had been a couple humidity spikes late at night when I was asleep, it went past 60% for a few hours each time until I'd wake up and open a vent to bring it down to 45-55%.

My mind is honestly all over the place, the humidity spikes coupled with me intentionally raising it 80% is making me think I may have been very dumb and drowned my ducklings. I'm feeling a lot of regret and hoping someone can educate me if I've made any mistakes or maybe I'm just being restless for no reason.

For reference, during my first hatch (chicken eggs), half the eggs that hatched did so on day 19, the rest on day 20 and none from day 21 onwards. So upon seeing an external pip this time on day 25, I was at least hoping a few more would've progressed by now. Sorry for the long read, and I would appreciate all your constructive criticisms.

Hi everyone! This is my second hatch ever. My first hatch was chicken eggs which went alright. I thought I'd try my hand at hatching duck eggs this time. All the eggs were from our own flock. On day 0 (incubator reading), I set 42 eggs and then 6 eggs the day after for a total of 48.

On day 25 (incubator reading), I disabled the turner and placed the eggs on the hatcher. During then I noticed one of the eggs had already externally pipped and feared I may have shrunk wrapped that egg. My first hatch had 2 shrink wraps due to opening and closing the bator multiple times, so I learned my lesson not to do that. I thought if I increase the humidity maybe the membrane might moisten and so for 2 hours I brought the humidity up to 80% and then let it naturally drop to 68-70% where it has been since then. Good news, that duckling hatched but it is day 26 now and I am not seeing any more external pips at all since that hatch.

During the incubation period, there had been a couple humidity spikes late at night when I was asleep, it went past 60% for a few hours each time until I'd wake up and open a vent to bring it down to 45-55%.

My mind is honestly all over the place, the humidity spikes coupled with me intentionally raising it 80% is making me think I may have been very dumb and drowned my ducklings. I'm feeling a lot of regret and hoping someone can educate me if I've made any mistakes or maybe I'm just being restless for no reason.

For reference, during my first hatch (chicken eggs), half the eggs that hatched did so on day 19, the rest on day 20 and none from day 21 onwards. So upon seeing an external pip this time on day 25, I was at least hoping a few more would've progressed by now. Sorry for the long read, and I would appreciate all your constructive criticisms.
just keep close watch on the humidity. while this is certainly not what I would recommend, some people don't even check the humidity, they have lower hatch rates of course, but what I am saying is you should give them another day, and if you are that worried, give them a safety pip.

I would remove that baby and candle the others
Don’t lift them up just candle in place looking for internal pip
I have had one hatch a few days earlier
There are warm and cool spots in bators that lead to this
Having humidity spike for a few hours isn’t going to drown the babies
It’s more of an overall through incubation
To high of humidity could mean they don’t loose enough liquid resulting in drowning at hatch
To low of humidity they loose to much to quickly
Edit to add
Also depends on the size of the egg
A smaller egg the baby may run out of room and need to hatch earlier them a larger egg

A few hours with the humidity extra high will not cause a problem if the humidity has been reasonable though out incubation. Try to relax. Did you candle the eggs when you put them into lockdown? Be patient ducks will take a bit longer to hatch than chicks.

Update: Another one hatched. Can't still see any external pips on the remaining eggs. I guess it'll be a waiting game from now on. Still haven't opened the incubator just opened a vent slightly so they don't suffocate. I'll probably take them out tomorrow morning and hoping the rest make some progress overnight. Duck eggs seem to take forever to hatch compared to chicken eggs.

Update: Another one hatched. Can't still see any external pips on the remaining eggs. I guess it'll be a waiting game from now on. Still haven't opened the incubator just opened a vent slightly so they don't suffocate. I'll probably take them out tomorrow morning and hoping the rest make some progress overnight. Duck eggs seem to take forever to hatch compared to chicken eggs.
Yoy can’t shrink wrap eggs that don’t have external pips
You can Take the babies out and check your eggs
You won’t hurt them

Back
Top Bottom