Need some advice

SillyChicken22

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 10, 2013
North Carolina
A couple contacted me and asked if i would rehome their chickens. What the couple had FAILED to mention was the fact their dog had mauled one of their ladies. Her wound on her back was pretty disgusting, but simple enough to clean up and take care of, After reading dozens of forums on here.

BUT on one of her feet her center toe is practically ripped off, bent completley sideways and you can see the ligaments and such. I tried my best to clean it but I'm pretty unsure what to do from here. Its totally compacted with dirt and god knows. And its all intertwind with the interiors of her toe. I know this may sound awful but do i need to remove that entire toe? Our should i wait and see what happens? I just don't want her to get an awful Iinfection and have it be far worse than it must.

I'm very upset and according to them this happened a few days ago. She ate great tonight and is spending her time in my small dog kennel, I'm just very distraught over the toe situation.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I have a flock of about 30 ladies and I've had predators come in my yard, but sadly my 2 ladies never lived to cluck about it. So I'm at a bit of a loss i suppose on predator first aid

You know, I would call the vet if you have a good one and get their opinion. Might be able to steer you to the correct antibiotic (clavamox comes to mind for animal bite) and at least their educated opinion without seeing the bird. Hate to amputate the toe if it isnt necessary. Farm vets usually are pretty cool that way.

I had a chicken not too long ago that manage to rip half of it's toe off by getting caught on something. I soaked her foot, cleaned it out, put a bunch of antibiotic ointment on it and wrapped it well with gauze and let it be. She's perfectly fine today. If you can post a pic that'd help, but try soaking her foot and cleaning it up as much as you can.

Back
Top Bottom