Need some assistance.

Sylviaanne

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Ozark, MO
I received my Cochins from Ideal yesterday afternoon. There was one that didn't make it and the post office verified that it was dead, I suppose incase Ideal wants to argue.

Altogether I got 25 babies, I ordered 19 pullets and one cockerel. And yes, I know sexing them is not an exact science so I was hoping to get MOSTLY pullets but wanted to make sure that I got one cockerel, that is why I ordered them the way I did.

Ok, got them home, got them in a warm brooder, gave each of them a drop of Poly vi Sol without iron, put Sav-A-Chick in warm water for electrolytes and gave them medicated chick starter with water in it. I check on them frequently to make sure they are warm enough but........

There was one tiny one who wasn't looking so good right out of the shipping box. Then there was another small one that wasn't looking so good but it was eating and drinking, the first one was/is not. I gave both of these babies more Poly vi Sol this morning and when I went in to check on them just a bit ago, the 2nd one was dead, the first one who won't eat or drink is hanging on but she's not going to make it. Now, there is a yellow one who is not doing so well. At this time, as far as I can tell, the rest of them are doing ok

Two questions for those who have dealt with Ideal: How long after you received your chicks would Ideal replace dying babies? How soon after the chicks started dying did you initiate contact and how often did you contact them? Oh, and how did you contact them? Just by phone?

Another question about the babies, Why do they like to sit in the water? I keep picking the littlest ones out of the water but they keep getting back in, at least when it is warm. Their brooder has a thermometer in it and it reads above 90 degrees. Is it not warm enough for the littlest ones?

During the first week chicks are very attracted to water, and can drown easily. You may want put a few marbles in the waterer to keep them out of it. If you can, I would start dipping the weaker chicks' beaks into electrolyte water as often as possible to try and prevent any more deaths from shipping stress. I can take a week to stop seeing shipping stress. I would call Ideal as soon as possible, and get details of what to do. Sorry about your chicks.

During the first week chicks are very attracted to water, and can drown easily. You may want put a few marbles in the waterer to keep them out of it. If you can, I would start dipping the weaker chicks' beaks into electrolyte water as often as possible to try and prevent any more deaths from shipping stress. I can take a week to stop seeing shipping stress. I would call Ideal as soon as possible, and get details of what to do. Sorry about your chicks.
Thank you. I did lose another Cochin and one peanut and another one was barely breathing, the weak one so I put her in an incubator with some eggs and when I went back, she had died, so I have lost 4 babies, 3 of them Cochin pullets. The weak one, I did put it's beak in the water every time I checked on them. There is still one baby acting weak but not too bad, maybe she will make it.

I did send an email to Ideal to the same address they sent me the invoice from. I don't know if they will even check there for it but I figured if it doesn't come back to me then it is in their system somewhere and they should be able to find it when I call them. They are open today but they didn't return my call last Saturday and now my son went off last night with the only phone we have.

Sounds odd, doesn't it? Well, what happened is that I don't use mine so it was always being lost. Someone else would use it and leave it somewhere and we would only find it by accident because it would be dead when we finally went looking for it again. So, I told my husband to just save the extra $40 a month, turn mine off. Then he loans his phone to our son who is a lot like me and refuses to have a cell.

I can't call Ideal. If my son returns the phone tonight like he said he would, I will call and leave a message but they won't get back to me until Monday anyways. Do you think they planned it that way? They only ship on Wednesdays and by the time the customer gets their chicks, it is the weekend and we can't reach them to complain until Monday.

Back
Top Bottom