Need some buddy hens (Allen, TX)

SterlingRanch

Chirping
17 Years
Mar 2, 2007
Allen, Tx
Went on vacation and came back to see one of my neighbors dogs (jack russell) had been on a multi-day killing spree. He killed all but one of my hens (20).

So I now need to find one or two hens for a buddy for my lone hen. They will remain locked in the barn until spring when I can repair the run.

If you're in the area and have chicks or older hens, please let me know.

Last edited:
So sorry.
hugs.gif

How did the dog get to the chickens? Was anyone watching them or were they in a coop/run? Was it hardware cloth all the way around? I ask as we are building our coop in the spring (notice I said we--I mean my hubby doing all the hard work building my design). We were planing on all hardware cloth run and cement layers under a sand run. I was thinking it would be impenetrable but here so many stories like yours I worry if that is not enough.
hide.gif

I would think getting 2 hens for your gal would be best, perhaps younger pullets, so your hen gets a better chance to be at the top of the pecking order. I am not an expert but it seems logical to me.

Dog dug under our perimeter fence. I've had chickens for 10 years living here in the 'burbs here in Dallas. Never had an issue except the occasional missing chicken (racoon) or red-tailed hawks getting them every so often. I really have no need for impenetrable defenses where I live. This is just one of those incidents. The dog will meet his end, he keeps coming back and it is only a matter of time before he is buried on my property.

I'm not really worried about where she'll fit in the pecking order. Somewhere in the pecking order is better than all alone for the next few months.

I have a few hens for sale, and I am in Alvarado. I dont know how close that is. I am at hwy 67 and I-35.
I have Turkens, Dark Brahmas and a few others.
Terri

Thanks for the offer. I have some located in Denison if I can't find anything closer. Alvarado is really far out there.

I noticed you are in Allen, tx. I am thinking of moving there, I am under contract for a home. I was wondering if you have had any trouble with neighbors, or if you know about any laws I should know about if I try and raise chickens in my backyard. I have been thinking about it for a while but now that I might have a house, my dream could become a reality. Any knowledge to share in regard to the law?

Quote:
This post caught my attention, because I just live 15 minutes from Denison! If there is anything in my sale list here - click - that interests you, you're welcome to come on up and look at them
smile.png

Quote:
Here's the ordinance section 3-18:

(e) It shall be unlawful for any person to keep any fowl, such as chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese, pigeons or guineas, except when the same are kept more than one hundred fifty (150) feet from any property line.

From -
http://search.municode.com/html/13969/level3/COOR_CH3ANFO_ARTIINGE.html

I live on a two acre place that is zoned agricultural. I've still had animal control called in several times by my newly planted, SUV driving, soccer-mom, idiot neighbors. They move here, build those stupid detached apartments they call houses and then commence complaining. We have miniature donkeys and they just can't get over the fact that they are allowed on my property. No one's ever had a problem with our chickens though.

I know of several people in violation of the above ordinance. You can't really keep a chicken in the typical cookie cutter backyard based on 150 feet. They just keep it hush-hush and their adjacent neighbors don't care so nothing gets said.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom