Need some coop advice!!!

nharbison0722

Chirping
May 26, 2016
Hi everyone! Was wondering if what I was told at the Tractor Supply was true- that this chicken tractor would safely hold 8-10 chickens. My girls are about ready to go out, as they are now about 4 weeks old. So now I'm wondering if the coop is big enough. There are 4 nesting boxes and a long roost plus the floor. I also have a large run that they will be in, so would they necessarily HAVE to all stay in the coop should some of them choose to stay outside in the run? Please help! I want to do right by them, but I'm also kinda stuck with what I have now too! Thanks for all your help and advice!

That coop is not big enough for 8 large fowl chickens as adults. Neither is the attached run. The extension you added will help with space. Will they only ever be in the coop/pen?

We have a fenced in back yard that they can roam around in. I think the pic of the run is deceiving/ as it's actually quite larger than the pic seems to show

Generally accepted numbers are 4 sq.ft. per chicken in the coop and 10 sq.ft. per chicken in the run.

Thanks Terry I appreciate it. I guess they will have to be in the yard too!? Just in order to keep
those sq ft requirements. My only concern is them getting their heads into the holes in my neighbors fence and their heads getting bitten by their little rat dogs! Maybe I can put some wood against those holes. Having over half an acre for a back yard, would that help my situation some? They would only sleep in the coop/run area, then let them into the yard for the day. Also, in out there most of the day myself.

Thanks Terry I appreciate it. I guess they will have to be in the yard too!? Just in order to keep
those sq ft requirements. My only concern is them getting their heads into the holes in my neighbors fence and their heads getting bitten by their little rat dogs! Maybe I can put some wood against those holes. Having over half an acre for a back yard, would that help my situation some? They would only sleep in the coop/run area, then let them into the yard for the day. Also, in out there most of the day myself.
You could zip tie some chicken wire around the bottom of the fence.

Perfect idea! Thanks! I also have some hardware cloth too
Hardware cloth is even better. Do you have many predators? Good you'll be out with them a lot. I'm out with mine a lot too. I've still had two hawks try to get my girls. Luckily my roo was there both times . It gave me time to get to them.

Back
Top Bottom