1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need some fencing help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GwenReaper, Sep 8, 2009.

1. GwenReaper

GwenReaper Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I am new to chickens. I had 5 hens and only have 3 now. Last night a dog got into my coop. I thought the fence around it was secure, but I guess it wanted in. This was about 3am and by the time I got out there the dog already killed 2. A few others were nipped, but are okay. I cleaned there wounds and I know they are still in shock.

Soooo....

I have a fence around my chicken coop. Its just chicken wire I got from the hardware store and stakes to hold it secure. I turned in the bottom and anchored them with small metal rods that would hold the fence down from the inside. I thought it was secure, but obviously not. So I need to replace it as soon a possible. What is the best kind of fence to put up. It was about a 5ft fence.

Any advice would help. I just want to make sure they are safe.

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    We use 2 X 4 welded wire.

The absolute safest is hardware cloth.

We run a board along the bottom, and bury abut 1 ft of wire.

Good luck

3. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I use a double layer system. 1/2 inch hwc for the inside and field fencing for the outside. Nothing big can get through the field fence, and not much can reach through the 1/2" squares. Field fence is about $60 for 330' here. To save money we put chicken wire on the inside of the upper areas, so 3' of 1/2 square and 5' of chicken wire above that.

4. trinityfly

trinityfly Out Of The Brooder

We use a heavy wire (12 or 14 gauge) fence 5 ft tall secured to posts around our free range area to keep out most pests. The "red band" brand wire fence is made up of "rabbit fence" which is 2x2 in mesh on the bottom about 2 ft. up then 2x4 in. mesh for the next 3 ft. to the top. It is sold in roles of 25 ft., 50 ft. and 100 ft. This fencing is firmly at ground level and we patrol periodically to make sure that there is no intrusion. It is a sturdy fence an will keep out most critters who can not climb.

The protected chicken run is enclosed with a metal roof and is made up of the same wire but is buried to 1 ft. in the ground with an overlay of 1/4 in. mesh hard ware clot that is 3 ft. wide. It is part of what we call "Fort Birdy"

Keep in mind that some predators can squeeze through a 2x4 in. mesh. We had a ring tailed cat that did just that until we added yet another layer of standard chicken wire to the structure

Good luck

5. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    If you can find cheap or free chain link it has work great for us

6. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    I also do a multiple layer approach: welded wire on the outside of the run, chicken wire on the inside of the run. I also have hotwired the pen. If you have a dog problem, a hotwire may be your best deterrent. Wet doggy noses make great conductors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by