Need some help figuring out if I've got a roo or not !!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by apack711, Apr 27, 2009.

1. apack711

apack711 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    NH/MA seacoast
    Hello, my name's Angie. I've had almost every pet imaginable in my lifetime but I'm brand new to the world of chickens. I had ducks growing up, and thats about as close as I've been. I have been reading almost everything on this site and have gotten more information than any of the books I've been reading. I got myself quite a few chicks ... an assortment of laying hens and then one little adorable banty mix that we just had to buy at a local chicken swap because it would have been all alone if we didn't, and my father and I are suckers!! The banty was the only one that was straight run, it's a little older than all the other chicks (I think) and since its the only one of its kind I have nothing to compare it to. I took a few pics and would like to see if anyone could give a guess by looking! Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Well, it appears to be about 3 weeks old (?), and that's an awful lot of comb for that age...I guess cockerel. Just looked again, and I think I even see a little wattle in the first pic. He's cute!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  3. jjrabbit2

jjrabbit2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Kuna Id
    It looks like my Serama's and yes looks cockeral to me also. Very cute! By the way my Serama Rooster is very loving a cool breed that likes humans. Very showy and pretty [​IMG]

4. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    That looks an awful lot like my 3 week old Japanese roo [​IMG]

5. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I also vote roo. And am going to guess Japanese.

6. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Quote:Not a serama. Japanese cockerel.

7. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    Looks like a boy! Congrats![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by