Need Some Help on Pekin Duck Age and Weights

Baymule

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 1, 2010
Northeast Texas
~~I butchered 2 Pekins today. They are 7 weeks old and dressed out to 3 pounds each. I have read a lot about Pekins lately and I think they should have weighed more. I have been feeding a 20% crumble for ducklings. I guess I should have waited a few more weeks, but they are supposed to be ready to butcher at 7-12 weeks. I guess I'll have to put up with them a little while longer. Has anybody kept up with age/weight for slaughter? What is the average weight of Pekins?

I am really ready to get rid of these ducks. They are making a swamp in the back yard. They are entertaining, but I got them to butcher and I am ready to get on with it. Everything I read said they are ready to butcher at 7-12 weeks. I will try another 2 of them next week. I keep feed in front of them, they have a tub to play in and I made a bucket and tub waterer for them, so they never run out of water. I pull dandelions out of the garden several times a day for them, plus they like the grass and weeds I pull too. I just do a little each day, instead of getting the whole garden done in a day.

Anybody raise Pekins for the freezer and what age did you butcher and what were the weights? I would really appreciate feedback on this, it would be a big help.

Baymule

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 1, 2010
Northeast Texas
Is there anybody that has raised Pekins for slaughter that can help me with age and slaughter weight? I am a little disappointed in the slaughter weight of 3 pounds at 7 weeks old. I am ready to git 'er done and send these guys to freezer camp. But if they are going to go through a sudden growth spurt in a week or two, it would be worth waiting for. They have grown like mad since I got them at a couple of days old. Will they put on more weight in a couple more weeks or will they really slow down and keep eating their heads off?

Anybody?

5 Acre Rooster

Songster
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
North Missouri
I only raise pekins for eggs. Never for camp. Check you feed to see if its for "meat" ducks. I thought (But not sure) that they were suppose to have a slightly higher protein, but could be wrong. I mixed my own when I raised them and averaged 22%. But never worried about weight, just healthy ducks. Also remember even with CX chickens the time frame is 5-8 weeks. The youngest will be small Cornish hen size. Not full size birds. You may have to wait a few weeks for a "good" sized duck.

Top Bottom