Need some help with hatching quail eggs

PinkFlamingoFrm

Chirping
6 Years
May 10, 2013
Pennsylvania
I put my button quail eggs in my incubator today, I had monitored the empty incubator for over a week, keeping temp at 100 degrees and 45-50% humidity. I put the eggs in a few hours ago, and just went to turn them and the humidity jumped to 82% and temp dropped to 89.2 degrees. What can I do to decrease humidity? Does anyone know why it jumped like that? I didnt add any water or anything to the incubator.

This is common to happen. Just like when you load up your refrig with warm food...it lowers the temp. As long as the temps and humidity level off by the end of today, you should be fine. If not, adjust everything accordingly. :)

This is common to happen. Just like when you load up your refrig with warm food...it lowers the temp. As long as the temps and humidity level off by the end of today, you should be fine. If not, adjust everything accordingly. :)
I kinda went into panic mode when the numbers changed and I noticed some kind of yuck on the window, like an egg exploded. Then I realized it was on the outside & all my eggs were moved. The stickers on the outside of the incubator were curling up at the corners. I started playing with the incubator & it wouldnt turn on. Turns out my fiance was cleaning the brooder, we have 4 chicks in it, and sat their waterer on top of my incubator. The water dripped down & fried my incubator. So I took the brooder light from the chickens and hung over my incubator to get them through the night. Today I gotta go get a new incubator. They were at 96.6 degrees all night because I spent till 4 am trying to regulate the temp and that was the closest I could get. The humidity dropped back down to 50% overnight. I hope they are ok. They should be right?

You should be fine. As long as things have stabilized by now, and you continue the incubation process with the proper humidity and temp, things will go as planned. Generally it is the long term high heat or low heat that causes damage to the embyo's. Low heat early on will cause "blood rings" and kill the embryo, but I think being day 1, you will be ok. Candle them at day 8 or 10 to see what is going on.

Make sure to breathe throughout the entire process so that you stay calm. :) You will do fine. :)

ok thanks, he is now banned from being near the incubator..(I even wrote up a fake restraining order and hung it on the wall beside the incubator to remind him lol) and I'm leaving in like 15 mins to grab a new incubator. I had the other one pretty much stabilized within an hour so I'm hoping this one is just as quick.
I think I may need to have a glass of wine with me every time I step in that room.. haha.. I'm stressed out over them already and its only day 2.. :)

Buy a brinsea incubator it takes 2 minutes to set up turns your eggs and will hold exact temperature all day long I absolutely love mine I get 100 % hatches every time

Back
Top Bottom