Need some help with my dog.

Daddas1Punkin

Crowing
11 Years
Feb 9, 2012
Ca.
So, I'm moving 800 miles away and taking my dog with me. Problem is, she's a runner. She was a stray and was beaten I'm pretty sure, and she's scared of everything. Her home she's used to is in the city, and its filled with houses and people. Her new home is on a piece of land that's 23 acres. Problem is, I'm scared if someone leaves the door open, she's out, and she's gone. I'm getting her micro-chipped as soon as we get there, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with like GPS trackers that work in the mountains? I'm not too sure if they will work in the hills, or what to do exactly. The boyfriend is putting in a yard that is fenced in for her and we're putting a doggy door, but there is always the chance that she'll slip her leash or get out no matter how careful we are. I appreciate the help! Any suggestions or experience will be helpful!
14494676_171343343311277_8411102899486922401_n.jpg

Does she respond when you call her? Maybe start training her to a sound or whistle that when she responds to she gets a GREAT treat and lots of praises. Unfortunately for me, my dog has 'selective hearing'.
MicroChipping is a great idea, make sure you update your information when there are changes. Fencing is good just go as high as you can & watch she's not a digger. There are GPS for dogs but I'm not sure of the range. Think I saw somewhere there's an app (cell phone) for that too but don't recall which carrier. Check with you Veterinarian, they may have suggestions too. Make sure her harness/collar is well fitted, slip your hand through the loop on the leash and above all when the weather get really bad, be extra careful with doors/windows. She's lucky to have you. Good luck & best wishes.

Hi!! I honestly don't know anything about the gps trackers- microchips are amazing though. We've gotten a lot of dogs home that way and they're relatively inexpensive.

I would work on recall training with her as much as possible, if you haven't already. Take her out with a long 20' lead (not a retractable), let her go out the length of the leash, call her, she comes back, give treat and praise. Repeat repeat repeat.

Also, cue word training would be good for her- if she were to escape but you were able to get her attention quickly for a recall....let me know if you want help with that! It would be pretty long winded so if you've already done that with her I won't type it all here!

In your new home when taking her out on lead, I would do a double leash- her normal leash and collar/harness and then a slip lead. That's what we typically do with "flight risk" dogs and it works great and eliminates jail breaks, haha.

Your pup looks like a sweet heart! So glad she has such a responsible caring owner :):):)

You might want to take her to dog obedience classes. They teach you to train your dog. Lots of good distractions so she learns to pay attention to you no matter what. And do train her on leash. That way you can easily correct her if she does not obey your command. I used to keep my dog on leash inside the house and every time a commercial came on i would give her a command, sit, down, stay or whatever. Also if she is on leash inside, and the doorbell rings it is easier to control what happens next. Good luck!

Does she respond when you call her? Maybe start training her to a sound or whistle that when she responds to she gets a GREAT treat and lots of praises. Unfortunately for me, my dog has 'selective hearing'.
MicroChipping is a great idea, make sure you update your information when there are changes. Fencing is good just go as high as you can & watch she's not a digger. There are GPS for dogs but I'm not sure of the range. Think I saw somewhere there's an app (cell phone) for that too but don't recall which carrier. Check with you Veterinarian, they may have suggestions too. Make sure her harness/collar is well fitted, slip your hand through the loop on the leash and above all when the weather get really bad, be extra careful with doors/windows. She's lucky to have you. Good luck & best wishes.

Thank you! She is very selective when it comes to listening... :/

Hi!! I honestly don't know anything about the gps trackers- microchips are amazing though. We've gotten a lot of dogs home that way and they're relatively inexpensive.

I would work on recall training with her as much as possible, if you haven't already. Take her out with a long 20' lead (not a retractable), let her go out the length of the leash, call her, she comes back, give treat and praise. Repeat repeat repeat.

Also, cue word training would be good for her- if she were to escape but you were able to get her attention quickly for a recall....let me know if you want help with that! It would be pretty long winded so if you've already done that with her I won't type it all here!

In your new home when taking her out on lead, I would do a double leash- her normal leash and collar/harness and then a slip lead. That's what we typically do with "flight risk" dogs and it works great and eliminates jail breaks, haha.

Your pup looks like a sweet heart! So glad she has such a responsible caring owner :):):)

I haven't tried much, but she usually stays in the house, but now she''ll be going a lot of places with me. I need to try that and get everyone on the same page with her training! <3 thank you!

You might want to take her to dog obedience classes. They teach you to train your dog. Lots of good distractions so she learns to pay attention to you no matter what. And do train her on leash. That way you can easily correct her if she does not obey your command. I used to keep my dog on leash inside the house and every time a commercial came on i would give her a command, sit, down, stay or whatever. Also if she is on leash inside, and the doorbell rings it is easier to control what happens next. Good luck!

That's a good idea!

start work very simple 20 foot lead and here key word here all situations possible every where she might freak here and major praise over, over and over

I should probably start right away with that and i was thinking of getting a leash that hooks to a belt or something!

Back
Top Bottom