Need some help

nharbison0722

Chirping
May 26, 2016
Hi everyone, hope you're all doing well.
I have a chicken tractor that I built a run onto. I have six girls out there now that use the coop and run, with 4 more in the brooder in the house. I know that 10 chickens will not fit inside the current coop, so I was thinking of turning the small "run" portion of the tractor into a coop as well. Any ideas on that? I was thinking about using plywood and putting in vents and shelves as well..... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Last edited:
Wow. It looks a lot better than it did last month. You've done well. If the run you are talking about is that little wired in box at the bottom right, you can build up a coop expansion around it pretty easy. Put a couple 8' tall 2x4's at the corners farthest from the coop, then make a frame around the top with 4 more boards. Plywood will be fine for the sides but you'll need the top to be pitched so rain will run off. If you use plywood for the roof put corrugated metal or shingles on top of it. You can reuse the window at the end of your expansion, then get a couple more that size and put one on each side of the coop. Just those vents you have on the tractor part, won't provide enough airflow for all of them.

Hey thanks for the complements and the advice! Yeah I worked really hard on it. It was a lot of work but the girls seem to love it. I went by Home Depot today to price the wood and what I'll need so it should be ok. Thanks again for the advice!
Wow. It looks a lot better than it did last month. You've done well. If the run you are talking about is that little wired in box at the bottom right, you can build up a coop expansion around it pretty easy. Put a couple 8' tall 2x4's at the corners farthest from the coop, then make a frame around the top with 4 more boards. Plywood will be fine for the sides but you'll need the top to be pitched so rain will run off. If you use plywood for the roof put corrugated metal or shingles on top of it. You can reuse the window at the end of your expansion, then get a couple more that size and put one on each side of the coop. Just those vents you have on the tractor part, won't provide enough airflow for all of them.

When did you move the girls out there. The grass still looks great!
It's been a few weeks now. They don't seem to peck at it as much as I thought they would. Don't get me wrong- they do- just not as much as I had imagined. Plus we just had two good rains.

Last edited:
Thanks, yeah I would agree- the pain now is worse. Also, after having spinal fusion this past December in now having more pain than ever. Don't know how I'm going to get the coup done!!
I'm sorry to hear that. I had shoulder surgery back in 2005. For me, the surgery/recovery was more painful than the original injury. I hope yours goes better.

Back
Top Bottom