Need some help

chix man

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2016
Hudson valley ny
So this afternoon when I came home from work, I went to my coop to grab the eggs and I was horrified to find my one rooster was dead. There was no blood around him or anything. Can someone help me with reasons as to why he may have passed?

First, I'm sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

It is not uncommon (though certainly unwanted) for chickens to die unexpectedly. They may suffer a heart attack, have an internal problem that eventually kills them, choke on something, etc. I would observe your other chickens closely for the next few days for any signs of illness, but your rooster's death was probably a single occurrence unrelated to a contagious disease.

So today when I came home from work one of my hens was making a sound. At first I thought she was about to lay an egg but the sound continues into tonight. So when I looked in on her, her back seems to be missing all her hair. Like it looks raw. So I put some veterycin on it. Any ideas why her back is like that?

I would look for a predator. Or I'd be assessing your coop and run to see if there are any feather picking issues, any aggression issues. How big is your coop/run, how many birds, age of birds, any roos? What do you have them on for feed? What do you have for windows/ventilation in the coop, and what are they covered with? When did you last see her "fully clothed" and how was she looking/acting then???

The coop can hold up to 15 chickens. And there are 9 in there. And a duck. I have 1 roo. The coop is well ventilated. It is a custom grade built coop. The hen that is missing her hair is about 2 years old and the rest are between ages of 6-8 months up to 2 years old.

The coop can hold up to 15 chickens. And there are 9 in there. And a duck. I have 1 roo. The coop is well ventilated. It is a custom grade built coop. The hen that is missing her hair is about 2 years old and the rest are between ages of 6-8 months up to 2 years old.
What does this mean in feet by feet?
Is that the manufacturers population estimate?
If so, cut it by 50-75%.
Did you have 2 'roos' before the one was found dead?
So today when I came home from work one of my hens was making a sound. At first I thought she was about to lay an egg but the sound continues into tonight. So when I looked in on her, her back seems to be missing all her hair. Like it looks raw. So I put some veterycin on it. Any ideas why her back is like that?
Chickens don't have hair...they have feathers.
Did this happen suddenly, in one day?
I agree predator or pecking.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom