Need some opinions ASAP please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Vicky2479, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Vicky2479

Vicky2479 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Hi everyone,I need some opinions on what to do, here is the deal
    I bought 6 cochin eggs (they are very hard to get here so was really excited) only 5 survived the trip through the mail so I put them under my broody hen 20 days ago BUT she started to break the eggs then she decided to quit half way through grrrrrr, down to 3 and all looked fertile.
    I had two other broody hens at the same time, one a little peking and she was sitting on 8 Orp eggs and another hen not sitting on anything (this hen is demented and has never liked me so I have not let her raise chicks so far), I tried to give them to the peking but she just couldn't quite cover them all so made the decision to give them the the demented hen as I don't have an incubator and I didn't want to lose these eggs. I can hear one chick peeping from the shell, the other two are quiet (should I be concerned?)
    ANYWAY I am getting abit worried about this hen raising the chicks and am thinking whether I should try to foster them to the peking hen, her eggs are due to hatch on Tuesday or Wednesday or should I just leave them with the other hen and work with them, I don't want to raise them my self if I can avoid it but I do want them but be friendly or at least not running away anytime I come in the yard.
    So what do you all think?

2. Banana Hen

Banana Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2013
    With my flock(s)
    Keep one or two under your demented hen, and put the one that will for sure hatch under your Peking. If you have friends with incubators, ask if you can use some space in it for your eggs. Personally, I would get a small self turning incubator for them so you can be sure they hatch.
    Good luck!:D

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by