1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need some opinions.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by acy0029, May 13, 2011.

1. acy0029

acy0029 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Tucson
    I ordered 4 Black-Star pullets and 3 of them look nothing like a Black Star they are feathering in more like cockerels and are twice as heavy as the rest of my chicks any idea's? [​IMG] They have huge feet and no gold on them they are solid black I'm really confused I thought maybe I got some Dark Cornish but they don't look like them either. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    May still be a bit early to tell, but I do know that the last black star I got was purchased with a group of Wyandottes, and she grew much faster then they did. Keep in mind, the sex linked breeds develop and lay much sooner than most regular breeds. I would give it a full 8 weeks before you can be certain...that being said, the black star roos should be a different color all together...hence the sex linked...[​IMG]

3. acy0029

acy0029 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Tucson
    The fact that they are Sex-Linked is what's confusing me 1 of them looks like a Black Star feathering out normal has gold feathers and all. Is there a lot of variation within Sex-Linked chicks? I would think they would be much more similar in appearance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by