Need somebody with experience

max13077

Songster
12 Years
Feb 3, 2008
Fingerlakes Upstate, NY
Well, I’m sitting here dripping with sweat, my legs bathed in chicken s*** having just completed a census of my meat birds. Here’s what I found”

1 Male 8.5
2 Female 8
3 Male 7.75
4 Male 7
5 Male 9
6 Male 9.25
7 ? 7.25
8 Female 7.25
9 Male 8.75
10 Male 9.25
11 Male 8
12 Female 6.5
13 Female 7.75
14 Female 7.25
15 Male 9
16 Female 8
17 Female 7
18 Male 9.75
19 Female 7
20 Female 7
21 Female 6.5
22 Female 7.75
23 Female 7
24 Female 7.25
25 Male 8.5
26 Female 8
27 Male 8.75
28 Female 7
29 Female 6
30 Male 9

Grand total of 235lbs with an average live weight of 7.83lbs each.

My question is when they’re dressed, about how big will they be? Is the 2/3 rule accurate? They’re suppose to be Cornish roasters from Mcmurray, not the Cornish x’s. The description of the roasters is “Fryers can reach a dressed weight of 3-4 lbs. in 8 to 9 weeks and the Roasters will reach a dressed weight of 8-9 lbs. at 12 weeks.” They’re 7 weeks today. They seem bigger than that weight they give a week early. I just don’t want to lose any. I'm concerned they'll go off their feet. When they walk, it almost looks like a person skating. They waddle slowly from side to side when they step, then flop down in a heap. I just don’t want any of them to expire before they get a chance to take an all expense paid trip to the freezer. Thoughts?

if it were me I would start processing those larger roos for sure,9lb of live bird will get you over 5 lbs of dressed..ours were at 9 lbs and dressed out,cut up minus the back ,neck and giblets they still were just over 5 lbs each..

Process the large ones, give the rest another week or two.

I lost two in the last week due to a 20 degree temperature swing in 1 day, that was really depressing to see them wasted.

I'd like it if you could post a picture or e-mail me one so I could see those birds.Aithough, they are so similar in looks you may not be able to tell them apart from the Xrocks.Those are really great weights for their age.If they are the Roasters they will make it out longer to your butcher date.I've had them 13+ live weight on males and my biggest one was pretty active(wanted to fight the other males)

I see your concern though,If MMM screwed up and sent the Xrocks instead,your thinking they should be ready in a week right?

What are you feeding them % wise?As long as you are keeping the protein % up I think you are ok.I know you got some monster birds there,but 5 lbs dressed weight isn't really that big for a Cornish.They don't get them big legs for freeranging and walking around they get'm for holding up them big breasts and plump thighs.
Keep them shaded during the day(it's been hot in our parts)plenty of water.Are they outside? So they are not eating under lights 24/7.
Unless you see some leg problems where they can't get up or move then I would get them processed soon.
Keep us posted and send some pics. Will
p.s. One question I have to ask you now that you at 7 weeks is "do you see a difference in weight and size between males and females"? It's been asked many times on here.

Will,

I have these pics from a week or so ago.

100_6676.jpg

100_6677.jpg

100_6678.jpg

100_6688.jpg

100_6686.jpg

100_6679.jpg

“I see your concern though,If MMM screwed up and sent the Xrocks instead,your thinking they should be ready in a week right?”

Exactly! If I have the roaster type, they say they take longer. If I have the X’s, then it’s a different timeline.

I’ve been feeding them 20% Dumor feed from TSC. I have them outside with a net and a tarp over the pen. The only thing that makes me think they might be OK is that they can move if they want to. I was weighing them in an old pillowcase. When I’d turn them out of it they would skedaddle out of it quick.

There is a marked difference between some of the males and females. A lot of the males are 9+. Most of the females are around 7.

Thanks for your help.

Max

Last edited:
They look like very healthy birds,your doing something right.I think they will be fine.I'd bet they are roasters,they still got a ways to go.You are going to have some good eat'n this winter Mister.I'm giving you an at-a-boy. good luck and keep us posted.
Will

Back
Top Bottom