Need something "recycled" for temp housing

Here chicky chicky

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 7, 2008
Hey yall-
We will be moving our girls (14 of them!) from out of state next week.

I KNOW I saw an article someplace on a really great idea for a quick and easy temporary housing set up.
All I can recall is that it reminded me of the shape/size of a refridgerator box or a hall closet and I thought it was a really GREAT IDEA! Of course, then I lost it and forgot
idunno.gif
what exactly they had used.

We will have a temporary (but very secure) fence set up for the horses, and I wanted to have something quick to attach (somehow) to that for the hens so they can be in the fence during the day and locked up safe at night. I dont want to buy or make one of those tractor things, because I will never use it again as we free range and lock up at night.

Eventually we'll have a real hen house at the new property, but if I could buy myself some time, like a month, that would be great.

Any ideas?

THANKS!!

DOG KENNEL

I use a 10x10x6 dog kennel with a 4x4 coop built inside the kennel. The coop has 24in legs that keep it off the ground, and is made entirely from wood pallets. The kennel is covered with chain link fencing and steel roofing panels for security as we have hawks and eagles nearby. also an apron around the bottom. This works well.

If you are looking to not spend a dime on fencing in your chickens, a friend of mine got some free pallets from a warehouse and attached them together as a temporary coop. Only thing he bought is the nails.

Its a long story. We take possesion of the property on Thursday, then my hubby will be taking a trailer of animals up to the new property on the following Wednesday. So we have ONE WEEK to fence, build a temp leanto for the horses, something for the dogs when they need to be outside, and the bunnies and the hens. (not to mention unpack OUR beds and the kids' things etc.)

The bunnies have a little house on legs (that they wont be happy in) but can survive in for a few weeks.
The dogs can go without being outside for a while (only when out with us will have to be ok).
And the horses are mandatory- so that leaves the hens who need safety from night time critters.

I can spend money. My big need is INSTANT-ability. They wont need fencing, just that night time housing.

THANK YOU for the good ideas!!

Last edited:
Everyone we know here said we are crazy for not selling all of these animals and just buying new ones at the new place after the fencing etc. (I didnt mention here our inside animals
hmm.png
.We DO have a lot of animals.)

I can't do that. That would be almost like selling my kids.

Last edited:
Hmmm...I don't think you are crazy for not wanting to sell your animals, but maybe you are crazy for moving?:lol:
I would love to move, but the thoughts of trying to move all my animals scares the bejeebers out if me;) and I can't afford to move anyway, so it all works out:rolleyes:

Good luck!

Oh believe me... I FEEL CRAZY!! LOL! BUT... there comes a day when you say: I GOTTA GET OUTTA HERE. Let's just say the city moved out here to our country. All the fields are now huge houses and all the country folk are now replaced with nothing more than huge ego's.

Time to say Ba BYE!

We have a Boeing surplus store here, and they have huge crates with tops on them. They are $5 a crate. They ship airplane parts in them.... can you find a place like that, that will sell their shipping crates to put your birds in at night? I know plenty of people around here use them for coops, too. They just modify them. The down side is that if you don't have a truck, you aren't hauling it, they are big. I've asked Lowes and other home stores for crates and pallets and they will refuse to give them out or sell them. It was explained to me that they get credit for returning their pallets. So you'll have to look for some other place-- like a heating and air company or someplace else. Put an ad on Craigslist for a large shipping crate? I also use a 12 X 12 ft dog kennel for a run. You could just use that for your "coop". Put welded wire or something over the top. Instant enclosure and you could put a tarp over part of it if it rains.

BTW-- we might be moving as well, so I am also thinking of these things. We have a few horses, lots of chickens, etc, etc.. anyway, it will be a very stressful move if we have to. They are shutting down the Boeing plant here-- no choice, it will leave a few thousand people out of jobs here. I understand moves with animals, and I am always completely disgusted with people who suggest selling off animals to move. They obviously do not have animals themselves nor understand the responsibility of animal husbandry. Anyway, if we have to move, I'll be buying a couple more chain link dog runs and doing what I just suggested above. Fast and easy, painless, and no immediate building.

Back
Top Bottom