Need suggestion on how to improve my serama flock

YB192004

Songster
10 Years
Jun 16, 2009
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
Newbie to serama, need suggestion on how to improve my flock. I know they are not ready to breed yet but I want to plan a head. Here are the pics of all the birds i have to work with. The roos and the darker hen are 5 months old B class. Other two hens are 4 months old and believe to be high B or low C. Currently, I enjoy to have them as pet even though they are not 100% SCNA standard. Please help.....I want to breed then toward the standard. I'm not in this for the money but think about the show though.
big_smile.png

Which hen is best for my roos on breeding quality chicks?

How long does it take for me to get an extreme serama with what I got?

34472_09_28_09_001.jpg

34472_09_28_09_002.jpg

34472_09_28_09_003.jpg

34472_09_28_09_004.jpg

34472_09_28_09_008.jpg

34472_09_28_09_015.jpg

34472_09_28_09_006.jpg

34472_09_28_09_007.jpg

34472_09_28_09_013.jpg

34472_09_28_09_014.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited:
Good morning! Very pretty birds!

I am soooo not a Serama expert but I imagine that Ondra's and Bluegrass will be by shortly to take a peek
smile.png

The only thought I have is one the darker hen. Her chest seems sort of low to me, so I dont think that it a quality that you will want to pass on.

However, I defer to the experts
bow.gif
when they post
smile.png

Good luck with your project!

Not a serama expert either (don't worry they will be here) but I have to say, I like the looks of your little dark hen and the red roo. Very nice. I have to wonder about that first white hen though. She does not look very serama like to me. Something about her round shape and those big green legs.

I like your third hen, the dark one. She's the only one with wings that don't point straight back. She does have a low chest, but she has a nice short back. The first hen has a short back as well, but her wings are horizonal. I would use those two to breed, and decide if you like what you get. Your second hen, although she does have the yellow legs that a lot of Serama fans like, lacks any of the type of the other two. Also, leg color is not defined in the standard; it's just a personal preferance at this point. Enjoy her as a pet, or let her brood your eggs. The roo is very nice. Vertical stance, short back, good chest. I think anyone starting out in Seramas (like me) would envy yours as a first flock!

The hens should have shorter backs. They have nice chests and tails though.
The rooster is a nice looking boy, his tail is a little stumpy for my tastes but he seems like a good Serama.
Very pretty Seramas!

I think the dark hen will mature out the best. Love the color on the roo! and I think he will improve also as he gets older. The first hen looks like her back is the shortest, but her wings are too horizontal. The second hen has horizontal wings and a long back. You never know what genes are hidden in these guys, so you just have to breed them and see what you get. Sometimes inbreeding can bring out the traits you want. You will need to cull though, sell or give away the worst type birds. Especially the babies from these birds. When you get some that are better than the parents, sell the parents and go from there. I think in 3 generations you will see improvement.

Quote:
First of all, thanks for your input....good to know that it only take 3 generations for the improvement. Now, how do I keep the cocoapop color? By breeding the best daughter back to the dad or the best son to the mom? I know that serama do not breed to their true color but what is my best bet on retain the cocoapop color?

Personally, I like the wht one for it color & back not the leg color & wings....darker one for the leg color & tail setting....the darkest hen for everything except the tail setting & leg color. Those are the reasons I need suggestion on which hen is best for my roos.

Due to my city limit on chicken, I will most likely keep 2 best rooster and a few good hens around for pet and future breeding stock....the rest will be relocate to a good home.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Hi, May I ask where you got your Seramas from?

My personal feeling is to take your cocoapop Roo and the Black and white (mottled) hen and breed them. to see what you get. Breed for type First! You may want to invest in a pure white hen of type, and breed pure white to your ROO. I do not like the other hens, first hen: to tall in leg and color of leg. Second hen: has long back.

I strongly feel, if you breed your Roo to the Black and white hen, you will get a very nice typey Serama, it would be interesting to find what colors will imurge!

This is my personal appionion!

Keep us posted!

Quote:
I got the darkest hen and the roos from Jerry S. in LA last month, both were 4 months old. My original order from Jerry was a (Andalusian) blue laced hen and a cocoapop roos. Cuz I feel the offspring of the two color will look really nice. Unfortunately, she got killed by preditor couple weeks before he can shipped them....so I took her instead, she is the offspring of a wht roos n silver ginger. Over all, she is not as nice as the blue laced that I order but she was the nicest in a bunch of 4 months old hens.

I bought the other 2 hens out of desperation for serama from a local breeder at couple weeks old. I did not know what to look for back then.

Will keep you guys posted on the out come....thanks.

Hi! I think you should breed the older two and see what you get. Just keep breeding the best to the best. Post pictures of the (grown and posed) offspring when you get them. The oldest hen is the best and I like your rooster. They all have faults, but the cockerel's the best.

Back
Top Bottom