Need suggestions for dipping. Permethran 10

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by purpletree23, Sep 20, 2013.

1. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    So I was holding one of my girls this morning and noticed she had mites. Goodie! [​IMG] Ivermectin was out of stock but they did have permethran 10 liquid. I followed the mixing instruction for a 'dip'. The chickens didn't seem to mind too much but no matter how much I agitated the water with my hand and ruffled their feathers under the water I couldn't get them soaked all the way through to their skin. Maybe they're part duck.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the next dip. I was thinking about adding a few drops of Dawn dish detergent to cut through some of their natural oils but I'm not sure.

Yes I spent hours cleaning the coop and bug bombing it and did spray all of the wood and floors with the recommended dilution of the permethrin 10. I let it dry and then spread Sevin on all of the wood with a gloved hand.

The mites had to come from the chipmunks that go into the coop to steal scratch. My fault. Should have gotten rid of the critters when I noticed them.

All welcome to come over tomorrow night for chipmunk kabobs.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would use Sevin dust, and either a rolled up sock to dust them or put them in a pillow case filled with Sevin, and close it off around their necks, and shake it over them.

3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    The mites are mostly at the base of the feathers. How can I get the dust to penetrate to the skin?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Here is a good reference for info and pictures of lice and mites: http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

I have only dusted mine once. I put the dust by hand and rubbed it in all over separating the feathers and making sure that it gets down to the skin.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by