Need Suggestions on Hard wire Please

zookeypr12

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 24, 2008
Hi,

I am researching the best method for my new chicken run.

I came across this during my search, if you could tell me what you think I would appreciate it

http://www.mypetchicken.com/Runs___Netting-Apron_Fencing___150_-P365.aspx

I was also thinking maybe a large dog run with hard wire lining it??

any suggestion would be greatly appreciated, I want to build this once and I would rather over due then be sorry.

Fort Knox will have nothing on my run and coop...that is with some help from you all
frow.gif

I have to read up on how to post pics and then I can show you the soon to be new coop
~k

We used hardware cloth from the local store. It's a half inch and we have the apron as shown on your pic. I wanted a small weave to keep snakes out too. I think mine cost less and some stores have that on sale this time of year.

Hello,You got the right Idea how to do the hardware cloth,the web you posted is perfect, on my run I used 14 gage 1x2" welded wire found at tractor supply,it was quite expensive $280.00 for 100' roll but it is 72" high and I think it will be way better than the Dog's panels.
Here are some pictures of my run;

Omran,

thanks for the pics
clap.gif

I will show my husband as I think this is more of what he was thinking

Omran.......Another question did you sink it at all or is it just sitting flush on the ground with an apron? cant tell what the floor is either is it sand?

thanks!
~k

I used 2x3x36 welded wire bent into an L shape I then dug a trench 2"deep and 18" wide. The welded wire was attached to the cyclone fence of the dog run panels and the trench backfilled. This will keep predators from digging under and into your run. I also add the additional security of installing an electric fence wire 6" off the ground around the perimeter. I've watched coyotes investigate the pen, hit the hot wire and leave rapidly. Knowing your flock is safe makes it easier to enjoy them.

In my experience, ordering wire on line is cost prohibitive because of the shipping.

My general rule of thumb for big item purchases is that I will compare the shipping price to what it cost me to fill the tank on my truck. Cheapest method is the winner.

FWIW - I ordered two rolls of 150' x 6' vinyl coated chicken wire from a place about 35 miles from me. I stopped there on the way home from work and loaded both rolls into the back of my Toyota Prius. It was quite a sight! But, except for my time, total shipping expense was about $2.50

Back
Top Bottom