need suggestions on how to round out my flock

Starpod

Songster
Sep 18, 2021
Hello,
I'm trying to find up to 2 chickens to add to my flock. Since we have a rooster and don't want him to get more aggressive , we would like hens that will not go broody. We would also like somewhat heat tolerant birds.

We have a buff Orphington Rooster
and a Barred rock hen. The rooster has been attacking my younger sibling and me. So, I don't want him to get more aggressive. I read a post on BYC on how someone's rooster got more aggressive when his favorite hen went broody, and I don't want that to happen.

Please give me suggestions.
:wee:fl

Last edited:
Hello,
I'm trying to find up to 2 chickens to add to my flock. Since we have a rooster and don't want him to get more aggressive , we would like hens that will not go broody. We would also like somewhat heat tolerant birds.

We have a buff Orphington Rooster
and a Barred rock hen. The rooster has been attacking my younger sibling and me. So, I don't want him to get more aggressive. I read a post on BYC on how someone's rooster got more aggressive when his favorite hen went broody, and I don't want that to happen.

Please give me suggestions.
:wee:fl

Roosters being aggressive to people has nothing to do with how many hens they have and *almost* everything to do with their natural temperament.

I would not keep an aggressive rooster. If you can only have 4 chickens get 4 nice hens and get rid of the male.

If You're looking for Hens that won't go broody Then Hamburgs are a great option they are hardy birds that Deal well in heat only problem is that they don't stand staying in a small confined area.
I have 2 Hamburg pullets and they are very sweet and are easily identified from the roosters.
If you're looking for more information then it's good to do some research about the breed.

Attachments

• IMG_0434 (1).JPG
    IMG_0434 (1).JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0462.JPG
    IMG_0462.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom