Need suggestions to keep coop warm in winter!

BarbaraW

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2023
North East Texas
Hello! This is our first winter with our flock. We live in northeast Texas and although it typically doesn’t get as cold as it does for a lot of people the last few years have been very cold for several weeks with rolling blackouts, ice and snow. Plus the wind can be brutal. We bought a 8x12 shed and attached a “Chunnel” to the run. The shed is wood and when we bought it we thought that it would be perfect for the chickens. We didn’t lose any this summer partially because I was able to come home at lunch and give them cold treats and refresh their water, plus we invested in several industrial barn fans. Our concern now is that although the shed is pretty much draft free except for the run door, when it is 40 degrees outside it is 40 degrees inside the coop as well. I am guessing that this means if it is 10 degrees outside it is going to be 10 degrees inside as well. Or less if the wind is blowing. We only have 12 hens and a roo so I think in part the the space in the coop is too big for their body heat to help much. There is an exhaust fan over the roosts opposite the run door and from reading I think that is bad? Should I add another vent near the roof on the opposite side? I am going to put curtains over the run door. Should I run the exhaust fan when it’s cold or just prop it open? I think running it would just pull the warm air out. We are going to try to add insulation and cover with feed bags and cardboard or possibly some wood type paneling (not the slick type that gets moisture running down it) but I just priced that and it will have to be done in increments starting behind the roost and nesting boxes. The coop floor is sand and I don’t want to do deep litter. Would pellets over the sand help? Also floor is wood (with linoleum under the sand) so I can’t close off the bottom of the coop outside with skirting but was going to run concrete blocks around the edges and leave some gaps for airflow and thought that filling the holes in the blocks with straw or sand to add more insulation that way. I attached pics of coop and run. I would really appreciate any suggestions. Also we are going to cover the sides of the run in 6mil plastic once it gets cooler to block the wind.

Attachments

• IMG_1456.jpeg
    IMG_1456.jpeg
    479.5 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_1455.jpeg
    IMG_1455.jpeg
    509.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1454.jpeg
    IMG_1454.jpeg
    950.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1453.jpeg
    IMG_1453.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 82
Your flock will be fine with copious amounts of ventilation to remove the moist stale air with a lower opening to allow fresh air to enter. Block them from direct drafts when roosted and the birds will keep themselves warm.
I would take the top 4" of siding off and cover it with 1/2" hardware cloth then trim it out so it looks good.
If you can also open up another gable vent on the opposite side from the fan and secure it with 1/2" hardware cloth and cover the outside with louvers to prevent rain infiltration. I would not run the fan during cold weather.
You don't need to do anything outside other than cover the run walls as you plan. Make sure you leave openings at the top for ventilation.

Thank you so much! I didn’t think I should run the fan. We are going this weekend to pick up what we can and I have added the additional vent to the list. I will talk to my husband about the siding I think it is all one piece so I am not sure he will be willing to cut it. Maybe one additional louvered vent say over the door or we can take out the ac leave about a 4” gap with hardware cloth and board up the rest?

Hello! This is our first winter with our flock. We live in northeast Texas and although it typically doesn’t get as cold as it does for a lot of people the last few years have been very cold for several weeks with rolling blackouts, ice and snow. Plus the wind can be brutal. We bought a 8x12 shed and attached a “Chunnel” to the run. The shed is wood and when we bought it we thought that it would be perfect for the chickens. We didn’t lose any this summer partially because I was able to come home at lunch and give them cold treats and refresh their water, plus we invested in several industrial barn fans. Our concern now is that although the shed is pretty much draft free except for the run door, when it is 40 degrees outside it is 40 degrees inside the coop as well. I am guessing that this means if it is 10 degrees outside it is going to be 10 degrees inside as well. Or less if the wind is blowing. We only have 12 hens and a roo so I think in part the the space in the coop is too big for their body heat to help much. There is an exhaust fan over the roosts opposite the run door and from reading I think that is bad? Should I add another vent near the roof on the opposite side? I am going to put curtains over the run door. Should I run the exhaust fan when it’s cold or just prop it open? I think running it would just pull the warm air out. We are going to try to add insulation and cover with feed bags and cardboard or possibly some wood type paneling (not the slick type that gets moisture running down it) but I just priced that and it will have to be done in increments starting behind the roost and nesting boxes. The coop floor is sand and I don’t want to do deep litter. Would pellets over the sand help? Also floor is wood (with linoleum under the sand) so I can’t close off the bottom of the coop outside with skirting but was going to run concrete blocks around the edges and leave some gaps for airflow and thought that filling the holes in the blocks with straw or sand to add more insulation that way. I attached pics of coop and run. I would really appreciate any suggestions. Also we are going to cover the sides of the run in 6mil plastic once it gets cooler to block the wind.
We are similar with a 10×10 shed/8 hens. There is cross ventilation near ceiling. Different than most, I do close up all windows and doors after they are settled for the night...including their run access door. Curtains over windows.
There is a steady breeze and I don't trust it will make for some sort of cold updraft on roost. Break of light I put their fermented feed down ,check water for ice. I then open up access door and raise curtains.
There is no added heat. They are slowly acclimation and I have seen no adverse affects.
Over nights here this week in northern Ga are in high 20s - low 30s.
Average temp in coop in morning has been 34°.

You do have fan on top near the roof and your coop pretty tall. I wouldn't worry too much. If the windy side is semi-open, just put something like tarp, plastic, or wood to cover it. You can put a temperature gauge and see how cold it get. The adult chicken can handle cold pretty well. I am in Washington and don't have any sort of heat for the coop. I do use deep litter method to keep them warm in the winter.

We are similar with a 10×10 shed/8 hens. There is cross ventilation near ceiling. Different than most, I do close up all windows and doors after they are settled for the night...including their run access door. Curtains over windows.
There is a steady breeze and I don't trust it will make for some sort of cold updraft on roost. Break of light I put their fermented feed down ,check water for ice. I then open up access door and raise curtains.
There is no added heat. They are slowly acclimation and I have seen no adverse affects.
Over nights here this week in northern Ga are in high 20s - low 30s.
Average temp in coop in morning has been 34°.
Perfect weather for a chicken! My GLW's are good until its below 20f. Its cool to see them acclimate to the weather as the winter season progresses.

Attachments

• IMG_6467.jpeg
    IMG_6467.jpeg
    353.2 KB · Views: 22

Back
Top Bottom