Need to borrow a goat - NO, Louisiana

Joz

Songster
10 Years
Jun 8, 2009
MidCity, New Orleans
Hey y'all... I'm buying a house, and it's got an overgrown backyard. Blackberries and other weedy stuff just over knee high. I'm looking to borrow a goat or two to clean it out (it's a relatively small yard). It's all fenced, and I'm good with critters.

Anyone near New Orleans got a couple goats they want to loan/rent/temporarily home with me? I'll only need 'em for a week or two.

I do have a truck and can transport, but I'm not familiar with transporting goats. It would probably be safer for 'em if their owner moved them. Willing to compensate for travel.

The yard will eventually all become a veggie garden. I don't have any mowing/mulching equipment, and the yard is so small that purchasing some is just silly. I want to get moving on all this so I can build a chicken coop and start that crazy adventure.
smile.png

Thanks.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Just get you a bunch of Chickens and in a few weeks all the weeds and grass will be gone and ready for a garden

Don
big_smile.png

This is very true. Chickens will take care of anything green.

The neighbors are cool with chickens, but I doubt they'll be OK with goats next door. And the yard really isn't THAT big.

Will chickens take down the blackberries? They're fairly fine caned at present, but still too much for birds, eh? And I was hoping to get it done sooner rather than later. I've no coop, and the fences are low... there's a lot of prep work I want to do before getting the chickens.

I use the chooks to follow the goats on our rough pastures, so you have the right idea.

The goats will eat the leaves off the brambles, but you will still need to dig 'em out. Chickens will not bother the brambles.

I suggest: Goats for 2 weeks, borrow lawnmower/weed whacker and cut down stems, till/dig out roots, insert chickens and garden.

Back
Top Bottom