Need to cull a chick, Benadryl?

ChickenRaiser95

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 19, 2012
Snohomish County
I have a 15 day old cochin bantam chick, and she has a pretty bad crossbeak. She was doing alright eating powdered chick feed, but now she just has to much trouble. She is not growing with the rest of the chicks. I care too much to let her suffer because I am too busy with high school and my job to feed her. I read that you could give them Benadryl then snip off their heads when they are asleep, but I am too squeamish for that. If i give her a good dose of Benadryl, will that just put her to sleep for good?

You can try putting the chick on dry ice in a box. Cutting the neck with scissors seems to be the method of choice, but I can understand that you are not willing to do that.

Clackclack

I second the dry ice recommendation.

You can usually find dry ice in some of the higher end grocery stores like Kroger, Harris Teeter, Wegmans, etc. Haven't seen it in Food Lion, Piggly Wiggly, etc.

Just be sure to cover the block w/ a towel, as you don't want to torture the poor chick by "burning" it w/ the dry ice. Be sure to close the cooler lid securely and place in a well ventilated area, as the byproduct is carbon dioxide.

Mind if I add to this thread?

How is the dry ice method done exactly? Where do you put the ice in relation to the chick?

I'm not so much squeamish but rather I can't emotionally harm something that's injured (my instinct is to nurture back to health, even from the brink of death). I would never be able to snip necks, just thinking of it makes me want to cry.

However, if a chick's in great pain & should be put down I know I need to do the job. I just want it done as gently as possible to the chick & emotionally for me. :(

I think the previous poster described it adequately... dry ice block, towel, chick in a box. As to the suffering, who is to say except for the chick. I once had to snip a neck for a science experiment and it was disgusting...

I would personally just get a pair of pruning shears and snip the chicks neck. I know it sounds awful but its really the fastest and easiest way to go. I've unforunately had to do it a couple times. Just cover the chicks head with a towel or something and snip it off. They're dead instantly. Sorry you have to go through this
sad.png

An easy way to cull a small chick is to place equal parts baking soda and vinegar in a coffee can, place the chick inside, and place a lid on for several minutes. It is difficult on anyone to cull a chick, but this method is painless, and the chick dies of carbon dioxide poisoning in a couple of minutes.

I think the previous poster described it adequately... dry ice block, towel, chick in a box. As to the suffering, who is to say except for the chick. I once had to snip a neck for a science experiment and it was disgusting...

Thank you for this.

I would personally just get a pair of pruning shears and snip the chicks neck. I know it sounds awful but its really the fastest and easiest way to go. I've unforunately had to do it a couple times. Just cover the chicks head with a towel or something and snip it off. They're dead instantly. Sorry you have to go through this
sad.png
x2 I am really sorry you have to do this. If it were me I would do the above. It sounds violent but beheading the bird in one stroke is an instant and painless death and is very hard to mess up. Drugs or gas are slower and when things go wrong its quite unpleasant for all involved.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom