Need to cull a rooster

Grabbing the feet and hanging him away from my body keeps me in control and I don't get pummeled by the wings. They calm down and are easier to get into a kennel. Shoving a flapping, crowing rooster into a small box in the dark is a neat trick by yourself.

Remember, just one bad day. The risk of not controlling him is that he gets away and then I have to chase him around the yard. That's not as humane as me staying in control. I don't recommend chasing one around the yard. A night catch is only marginally easier than the daytime. If his wings aren't clipped, he will fly faster than you can run.

How tame is he? My birds aren't tame and a chase is to be avoided.
Makes sense. Some of mine are tame and others not so much. One in particular is very flighty

Ah okay. Makes sense. It’s probably more confusing to me since my roosters are bantams and very very tiny. They don’t pose much of a threat since i can just grab them in my hand. Now a big rooster with big spurs would probably prove more of a challenge.
😂
Mine aren’t roosters, are far from tiny, but put up w being carried if necessary.

I just have to wrap an arm around their wings, a firm grip on both feet, and covering their eyes helps a ton if they are less wanton for the “ride”

40# +/-

Attachments

• 095C6ABB-FA0E-4A64-8352-6F55765C3E55.jpeg
    095C6ABB-FA0E-4A64-8352-6F55765C3E55.jpeg
    789.7 KB · Views: 5
I grab them off the roost at night and up them in a wire crate, stage crate(s) in the slaughter area(garage so safe from preds) for morning dispatch.

This is helpful guys, thank you! I might have my hubs help me dispatch him before everyone’s all the way awake and then deal with the rest after the kid/breakfast rush. It will be plenty cold.

DH has hunted, including small game birds before, and says he just popped their heads off 🤢. His words. Is that doable or will it be too hard to do that on a larger bird? The roo is a pretty big guy these days.

This is helpful guys, thank you! I might have my hubs help me dispatch him before everyone’s all the way awake and then deal with the rest after the kid/breakfast rush. It will be plenty cold.

DH has hunted, including small game birds before, and says he just popped their heads off 🤢. His words. Is that doable or will it be too hard to do that on a larger bird? The roo is a pretty big guy these days.
Doable. Not like the smaller birds. Think goose or big duck. How strong is DH and is the technique is understood? I wouldn't recommend it.

Expect a struggle and you will be prepared. This will be a learning experience, so be prepared for everything. Best wishes.

How did it go?
Hopefully it was smooth for everyone involved-

Also. To answer the other question.
IDK about “popping” heads off... I’ve hunted many upland game birds and waterfowl and have had (thankfully only a few) instances where we had to break a neck in the field by taking a firm grip on the head and beak, and swinging (usually a pheasant) up and around.... w a sharp jerk downward as the weight of the bird was “above” and at least one more full swing “around”.

It takes commitment for sure; you don’t want to have to try twice. Not at ALL recommended if you are at home and have better methods. Sometimes things have to go a little different when you are in a cornfield or a blind w a bird that is injured and it needs to be taken care of immediately.

I personally would not ever use that method w my own birds, there are too many, more humane options available IMO

But. To be clear, dispatching is never easy, even when dealing w an aggressive roo. Giving an update about what you decided to to, and how it went, would (hopefully) help someone else looking for help with a similar situation in the future 💕

Back
Top Bottom