need to find help creating a hen house and run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by theeasterchick, Mar 6, 2014.

1. theeasterchick

theeasterchick New Egg

Mar 6, 2014
    Hi I'm new to chickens and needed to find help digging and inserting chicken wire 1.6 feet under the ground to make my area prediter safe. is there someone in the santa cruz area in california that can help or knows where to go for the help?

2. Hide a laborer at Home Depot parking lot.

3. ClovisMan

ClovisMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    New Braunfels, TX
    You can hide one, but you might get into kidnapping troubles. :)

I think she meant to hire a laborer from Home Depot parking lot. LOL

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    You don't need to dig straight down. It can lay right on the ground for 18 inches out and let the grass grow through it to mow or pull up the sod and lay it down then lay the sod back on top. A lot easier than digging a trench and just as effective. Animals start digging at fence and will back up some but not more than 18-24 inches to try and dig down.

5. Ha! Yes I meant hire not hide. As mentioned you can roll out wire topside on the soil instead of digging down. You may also not need to do this if you have minimal pressure from predation.

Wish ya the best.

6. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    I Use 12x12 concrete pavers (salvaged) around the perimeter. Working well for years with frequent visits from all sorts of predators.

7. armychicken14

armychicken14 New Egg

Mar 8, 2014
    I am building a 16x5 coop how many chickens can I get?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by