1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need to find out the gender for one of my chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cntry2CityChick, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Cntry2CityChick

Cntry2CityChick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2014
    Here is a pic of "Ms." Beasley. I was told that she was a Buff Orpington when I bought her (at about 2 wks old) on Oct 8th. Soon realized that she is not. Her coloring matches her sister Dilly McDuck (Delaware), although Beasley's wings were shorter and she is much smaller. She/he isn't feathering as much as Dilly, and I've read that Roosters feather at a slower rate.

The City doesn't allow Roosters, and I know it will break Dilly's and my sons (ok... mine too) to have to find a new home for Beasley. I feel it would be best to do it as soon as possible.

[​IMG]Dilly is on the left, Beasley on the right. The day we brought them home.

[​IMG]This was taken today (Oct. 30th), I assume about 5 weeks (if they were 2 wks when we bought them)

[​IMG]For comparison, here is Dilly McDuck at 4 wks (checking out the new chicks we brought home).

[​IMG]... and Beasly at 4 wks (checking out the chicks)

Hoping for a hen, but NEED to know.
    Thank you.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Beasly looks like a pullet for now, but it is still too young to tell for sure.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X3. Nothing there is screaming rooster....at this point. Some cockerals often do show some pink or reddening of the comb by 4 or 5 weeks old, I see nothing there at all. I also think they might have been younger then two weeks old when you bought them.

5. Cntry2CityChick

Cntry2CityChick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2014
    Maybe I'm just being paranoid since the wings were shorter and the tail just started coming in... I might be reading too much [​IMG]

Not sure how old they were... when I called on the 6th,was told they had a few left from their last delivery, but would be getting some in on the 8th (they get a delivery around 2 to 3 wks). I went in on the 8th... didn't have a new delivery, but I adopted Dilly and Beasly from their previous delivery. Waited until they received their next delivery on the 22nd to adopt a "few" more.

I'll take your lead and wait a bit longer, before I start looking for somewhat local farms.

Appreciate the advise from you all so much!

Thank You![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by