need to grow feathers....suggestions?

JeninMN

Songster
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Hi,

I've seen afew posts about giving chickens cat food for a high protein way of getting feathers to grow back...

How often do you give them the cat food is my question on that..and how much???
I have 40 chickens ( buff orps ) and the other thing is that I think they are almost done with their molting but now our 2 roos have managed to damage some of the new feather shafts on our hens! Will they just not grow those feathers back now or will new shafts come in again???

I'd like them to have as many feathers as possible for the winter months... -40 actual temp with a bare back doesn't really appeal to me!!! Although they have a heat lamp and we close it up really good for them
smile.png

I usually give about a cup of cat food every few days for a dozen or so hens. Doesn't make feathers grow back directly, just provides the building materials for the production of feathers. A game bird feed with more protein would do the same without the added salt.

As for broken feathers, if the shaft is broken, the feather won't be replaced until next moult. If the feather is pulled out, it will come back in a month or two.

Back
Top Bottom