Need to guess the gender!

Fraoch21

Songster
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
Highlands, Scotland
Ive got some bantam cochins and a dutch bantam that I am taking to auction soon so I need to guess their gender within the next 2 weeks or less so I can enter them. There is one cochin that is 11 weeks old and I thought he was a cockerel but theres no signs apart from his red wattles. The rest are all 4 weeks old. I understand this is too young to say anything for certain but if you could hazard some guesses, that would be great and I'll update the photos in a couple of weeks.

The 11 week old:

No 1 of the 4 week old bunch:

No.2 , The Dutch:

No. 3:

No. 4:

No.5:

Also if anyone can tell me for certain what colour these guys are that would be great. No 1 was sold to me as a millefleur and Nos. 3 and 5 were sold as blue millefleurs. These are the only 3 I am unsure about as I have never had these colours before.

I'm leaning towards them all being pullets, though it is a little young to tell for sure. As for color, these are my guesses:

11 week old bird: Lavender Cochin
No. 1: Not sure
Dutch Bantam: Light Brown
No. 3: Some sort of mixed-looking color, like Calico, Jubilee, or possibly Mille Fleur.
No. 4: Blue or Lemon Blue (depending on the color of hackle coming in)
No. 5: Not sure

Last edited:
Thanks, it would be fantastic if they were all pullets!
As for colour, does anyone have any pictures of millefleur pekins at 4 weeks old that I could compare them with?

I'm leaning towards them all being pullets, though it is a little young to tell for sure. As for color, these are my guesses:

11 week old bird: Lavender Cochin
No. 1: Not sure
Dutch Bantam: Light Brown
No. 3: Some sort of mixed-looking color, like Calico, Jubilee, or possibly Mille Fleur.
No. 4: Blue or Lemon Blue (depending on the color of hackle coming in)
No. 5: Not sure
I agree with these guesses.

I'm sorry for the loss of #1!
hugs.gif

#3 is looking the most like a rooster right now, I think. The Dutch Bantam also has a rather large comb, though it doesn't appear that red in the photo. Keep an eye on "her".

Thank you, it was gutting to loose her at the age she was.
Ok, sounds good! They all have red combs/wattles now, so does it really depend on the size of them now? and what about colours their colours now? No.4 interests me, she was sold as a lavender egg but maybe shes blue, or just a bad coloured lavender?

Last edited:
Heres another update on the younger ones, pretty certain the dutch is a cockerel but still unsure about the others. 7 weeks old now:

No.4

No.2

No.3

N0.5

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom