Need to ID Potential Predator

ChickenDuckQuail

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2021
Hoping someone can give me some insight into what did this to my chicken run. I was gone for two nights and came home to one of my eight hens wandering the yard. Expecting the worst, I ran to the coop. The other seven hens were in coop. Everyone was fine. There was a nesting box full of eggs and a full feed bucket. The only suspicious thing is this hole in the chicken wire and the chew marks on the wooden post. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20220821_144859_01.jpg
    IMG_20220821_144859_01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
I don't know what it could have been, but my guess is that whatever it was will be back. Chicken wire only help's to keep the chicken in, but it does nothing to keep the predator's out. You need to attach some of that 1/2-inch hardware cloth wire on it. If you are wanting to find out what critter did that, put up one of those camera's to see.

I don't know what it could have been, but my guess is that whatever it was will be back. Chicken wire only help's to keep the chicken in, but it does nothing to keep the predator's out. You need to attach some of that 1/2-inch hardware cloth wire on it. If you are wanting to find out what critter did that, put up one of those camera's to see.
I agree @BlueBaby! Since it looks like you might already have a wood frame for your run @ChickenDuckQuail, you should be able to wrap the whole run in hardware cloth. Depending on where you live, you might also consider some electric fencing (for example if your area has bears). The game camera is also a great idea. There are loads of great examples of how to harden the security of your coop and run on here. Lots of people include helpful info in their “my coop” section of their profiles. when you can, please post some additional pics of your setup and the area around it.

I agree @BlueBaby! Since it looks like you might already have a wood frame for your run @ChickenDuckQuail, you should be able to wrap the whole run in hardware cloth. Depending on where you live, you might also consider some electric fencing (for example if your area has bears). The game camera is also a great idea. There are loads of great examples of how to harden the security of your coop and run on here. Lots of people include helpful info in their “my coop” section of their profiles. when you can, please post some additional pics of your setup and the area around it.
Thanks for the tips @Farmgirl1878 and @BlueBaby We had some hardware cloth on hand, so we put up what we had available. The camera is going up tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom