Need to incubate the rest

MarlaMac

Songster
Aug 14, 2022
Central Texas
Broody momma hatched 8 of the 12 eggs under her. This is the 4th day after the first hatched. The last of the 8 hatched yesterday. Today I found her scratching around the egg box (in which 2 more eggs magically appeared). The four left from the original 12 all have growing chicks in them and I think they cannot have more than 3-4 days left before hatch.

I went and got an incubator, took out the automatic turner put some water in it and it is now heating up and establishing a humidity level. From what I gather, I need to get this humidity level up to 65-70% and keep the temp around 100 degrees. Is this right?

The temp is already at 100 degrees and the humidity is building - currently at 47%. I placed the four eggs in the incubator already - I figured that is better than sitting out in the open in my house at 74 degrees, although the humidity is at 67% currently outside.

Is this fine or do I need to wait for the humidity levels to come up in the incubator? @sourland ?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Should work - good luck. Staggered hatches always cause problems as hens are programmed to take their chicks to feed and water within roughly 36 hours of the first chick hatching. Well, now you have an incubator - that's a plus.

Should work - good luck. Staggered hatches always cause problems as hens are programmed to take their chicks to feed and water within roughly 36 hours of the first chick hatching. Well, now you have an incubator - that's a plus.
Thank you. We shall see what happens. I just couldn't stand by and let them die without giving them a chance. I will probably hatch all cockerels. :gig

Back
Top Bottom