Need to know - Muscovy?

Just wondering... can I give them a couple big rocks in their pen, to make it a bit more interesting for them and to provide a perching place?

Sure, that will be a perfect perch. They perch on virtually anything that is above ground level - mounds of dirt, vehicles, lumber, upside down water buckets, the edge of their bathtub - whatever. But they'll like the rocks.

Sure, that will be a perfect perch. They perch on virtually anything that is above ground level - mounds of dirt, vehicles, lumber, upside down water buckets, the edge of their bathtub - whatever. But they'll like the rocks.

And if I clip their wings, can they get out of a 4'-4.5' fence? It's not tight/grippy enough, I don't think, for them to climb, and the wire actually is higher than the post height too.

And if I clip their wings, can they get out of a 4'-4.5' fence? It's not tight/grippy enough, I don't think, for them to climb, and the wire actually is higher than the post height too.
We have 4-foot fencing to keep the ducks off the porch and front yard, and it works just fine. I guess it's possible you might end up with some prodigious jumper, but I think 4.5' will work.

Three of our girls last year before we had a wing clipping party... Every day, late in the afternoon I could count on these three making their way onto the roof of our house. And we're surrounded by trees! It was the house or the top of the enclosed chicken run. Oh, and one of the other regulars was a drake. He didn't know he was too big to fly and hung out with his lady friends. I wore out a ladder getting them down each night. They can jump well but depending on the predator that isn't going to help them very much. We lost that flying drake to a fox about 4 months later. We clip a single wing each year. Looking at the calendar, we'll be trimming in just a couple of months, if not sooner.

Back
Top Bottom