Need to know what I have

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by howard63, Oct 17, 2010.

1. howard63

howard63 New Egg

Oct 17, 2010
    Picked up three ducks at the auction this past Saturday.
    Can you tell me what breed and sex they are?
    I have never had ducks before and do not know anything about ducks

[​IMG]

2. Kelebek

Kelebek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2009
    Orange Grove, TX
    They look like Muscovey .... LOVE muscovey! The one on the far right looks like a black pied ... and probably male (if they are all from the same clutch)... the one on the far left looks like a barred black pied and the one in the middle possibly a barred chocolate pied ... but I am new - so might be off a bit.

3. howard63

howard63 New Egg

Oct 17, 2010
    Thanks. All I know about them is that they were sold together. I actually do not think they are the ducks I bid on. I bid on two younger ducks but did not realize that til I got home. Was hopping that at least one of them is female.
    What do they need or like to eat.
    Can you tell how old they look?

4. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Muscovy! And they look young. Maybe 10/12 weeks. I have some the same age. From that pic I would say a drake and 2 females. But I'm not sure. Can you get a better pic so I can see the whole bird including their legs and maybe I can tell you the sex. Just feed them like any other duck. I feed mine Blue Seal Grower Cal Pellets and they get treats daily (thawed frozen peas, corn, lettuces, tomatoes, fruits etc etc.. whatever Ive got on hand).

You're going to LOVE them. Out of all my ducks my muscovy are my favorite. Personable and smart.

5. Kelebek

Kelebek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2009
    Orange Grove, TX
    I second that - I LOVE my Scovies!! I got two from someone that didn't even know what they were and then I was up to 18 now at 15 :)

Here is a pic of mine that I took today - the blue is 9 weeks and the little one is about 5 weeks.

[​IMG]

6. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    What an ADORABLE pic!!! Scovies just melt my heart.

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

The one to the far right is a Hen, and she's older than the other two, maybe their momma? The one in the middle is a Drake & the one on the left is a Hen.

The young Hen is Barred & the "momma" might be too, her pattern is kinda muttled, the Drake looks to be plain feathered but pied, the brow colring on his chest is normal with some blacks..... All blacks & very pretty! Lucky you!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  8. howard63

howard63 New Egg

Oct 17, 2010
    Thanks for all the help. I am clueless when it comes to ducks.

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

Use the search and spend some time with this forum. It has helped me IMMENSELY with my runners. If you cannot find the answer to a question after using the search, or if you just want to chat a bit, post a topic.

Those are beautiful ducks you have, there! Enjoy them and be prepared to learn amazing things! My ducks have taught me so much! For example, peas are nature's perfect food, chopped salad in water is a close second, it's important to be up with the sun, or even a little earlier . . . .

10. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    The one on the right in the picture (closest) is a young adult female. The middle is a young male, and the one on the left is a female as well. So you have a nice trio. [​IMG]

The one on the left is a black barred. I can't see the backs of the others so besides that they're blacks, I can't tell you if they're barred or not. [​IMG]

Ducks are a bit different than chickens so if these are your first, please do some research about their feeding/care. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by