need to learn how to keep a couple small cattle

trunkman

Songster
10 Years
Dec 26, 2009
Rock Hill SC
Hello everyone, I'm wanting to start raising small cattle, only a few dexter cattle or maybe zebu. I grew up helping with the feeding, cleaning, helping bailing hay and so on but didn't learn much because I was just a child. I'm middle aged now and want to raise a few small cattle myself, both for milk and meat and most say the dexter cattle is one of the best for both. The only thing is I have a lot of questions, some questions may be dumb but I just don't know much. So here goes, I don't have much land to keep them on, I only have a half acre for them to graze on, I've been told I don't need much land as long as they are well enclosed and I can feed them grain and hay. Are they right or should I just give up on the dream?
roll.png

As long as you are willing to feed hay then 1/2 acre would be fine. I wouldn't get many though.. Maybe 2-3. Dexters would probably work get for what you are looking for. Good luck!

Minerals are important (quality of grass) if not you can supplement, also make sure the grounds not too soggy (hoof rot) and make sure there's some sort of shelter, (even a wall) so they can seek refuge, besides that and vaccinations its pretty much farmer and the dell lol

I have 3 zebu, 3 pigs and 2 mini donkeys on 2 acres. I don't feed them much at all and they are all plump. Of course in the winter they go through a lot of hay. But for half an acre and dexters I wouldn't get more than 2.

Back
Top Bottom