Need to let go of the heat lamp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lucy4, May 16, 2009.

1. Lucy4

Lucy4 Songster

My girls are 8 weeks old today, and have been out in the coop/run for a month. I still have a heat lamp on a night, and my chicken expert friend says it's no longer necessary. I believe her, but I am so nervous! Someone hold my hand and tell me the chicks will be ok without it. (I'm in NYS, btw, not sure that matters.) [​IMG]

2. Blondie

Blondie Songster

Unplug the heat lamp today! They don't need it at 8 weeks, or 7 weeks. Save your electricity!

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    If you are worried about the sudden "shock" of one day having a heat lamp and then not having one, switch to a lower watt bulb. For example, if you are using a 100 watt, go to a 40 watt. Then, turn the light off at night. This will get them accustomed to the day and night cycles and wean them off the light.

4. Lucy4

Lucy4 Songster

That's a good idea, about gradual progression. The bulb in there is 250, so there's certainly a lesser one to put in!

Though yes, Blondie, I know the lamp is not necessary. I'm just crazy. At least I can admit it. [​IMG]

5. SunAngel

SunAngel Songster

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    They will definitely be ok without it.

I went out to check on my chicks last week, I had 3 week olds in with 5 week olds. Noticed that half of the 3 week olds were missing feathers from their lower backs and wings feathers near the middle of their backs. I knew it had to be one of the 5 week olds, so I gathered all 5 of them up and tossed them in with the little bit older juvies. No heat lamp in there and they have been fine.

6. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    they will be fine with out it dont stress it just turn it off [​IMG] your wallet will thank you [​IMG]

7. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Songster

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    I use a regular low watt light bulb for a few days after removing heat, this way it's gradule and works good for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by