Need to process my first ever roos tomorrow. wish me luck!

Liamm_1

Songster
9 Years
Oct 18, 2010
San Francisco Bay Area (East)
So, I have 19 week old Sumatras, 3 cocks, 3 pullets. Hence the need to correct the ratio a bit. I'll be skinning them, so I'll brush up on technique this evening via youtube, etc.
I've been trying to psyche myself out for this for months lol. Any points of wisdom from experienced processors? How important is the sharpness of the knife? Will an old kitchen knife do, or do I really need to go buy a new, good quality knife? I guess I'll go to HD for a construction cone, to do the killing in. any other tips? thanks!

YOU CAN DO IT! (Good luck!)
hugs.gif
Terri O

A sharp knife is definately important, but even brand new knives go dull....better to invest in a knife sharpener over a new knife
smile.png
I like the cheapie ones, some like the more expensive electric ones, either way, keep sharpening, and you'll do great!!

Yea, I'm in the same boat... I may have to do this after awhile if I can't get rid of some of my Buff Orp roos. I went and bought 11 (supposed pullets) and when I got them home there were like8-9 cockerals! UGH! I have never done it either and don't think I have the stomach too. LOL Dad will do it for me...
wink.png

Yes, a good sharp knife makes a big difference to the ease with which you can make the cut. A swift deep cut = a speedy end for your bird, which is your final kindness to him. You can even use a fish fileting knife, or a utility knife blade. I like the ones meant for cutting wallpaper, they're extra sharp. If you use a small blade like that, put some duct tape or twine on it so you don't lose it in the grass.

When you've placed the bird in the cone, pull his head out so his neck is stretched, and bend it to one side. Find the bare place just behind the point of the jaw, that's where you make the cut. It's more difficult to try & saw through feathers. Make a good deep cut -- watch your fingers! -- and when there's a good stream of blood flowing, you know you did it. Then you can bend the head to the other side and cut there too.

It is quite a departure for most of us raised or living in a modern urban/suburban environment to calmly kill an animal that we're not threatened by, afraid of, or disgusted with, one that we've known for a while and may have some fondness for. We're so detatched from our food sources that few seriously think about the death of the animal that resulted in the meat on our plate. I have found the experience has left me feeling rather empowered, to have mastered this basic human survival skill. And also deeply grateful & appreciative of all the food I now eat.

I wish you all the best with this first brave attempt, and lots of delicious eating at the end of it!

a gallon milk (or similar type) jug can be used instead of buying a specialty cone. that's what i use.

as for the knife, like others have said you want it to be extremely sharp. think of it as your service to the bird to kill him quickly instead of having to saw through the skin to get to the arteries. i use my hunting knives or a couple of the bigger kitchen knives (very high quality henckels knives).

good luck. you can do it. the march to the cone is the hardest. after that, it's all downhill.

Back
Top Bottom