Need to purchase a coop for 8-10 chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Roylene, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Roylene

Roylene New Egg

Feb 26, 2014
    First time chicken owner other than having some as a little girl. I am in Nebraska and need to purchase a coop for 8-10 chickens. Does anyone have any suggestions on a reputable coop seller? I need help on finding one that is not cheaply made. Thanks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    IMHO, coop manufacturers grossly overestimate the number of chickens their products will house.
    Use a rule of thumb of 4 sq. ft. per bird based on internal dimensions. That means you'll need a coop that's 40 sq. ft. I believe that if you find a 40 sq. ft. coop, they'll tell you it will house 20 chickens - NOT.
    Here's an example of one that's advertised to house 6-10 chickens.
    http://chickensaloon.com/the-rambler-backyard-chicken-coop/
    It's about 3X5 which means it can hold 3 or 4.
    Coop manufacturers are carpenters and manufacturing companies that have never raised chickens. The dimensions they work with are those assigned to cage layers which need beaks trimmed to prevent cannibalism.

If you're not a carpenter nor have a fortune to spend on a quality manufactured coop, I recommend you peruse the coops in the learning center
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops
    find one you like and hire a local carpenter to build it.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! I would plan on five to six sq. ft. per bird, unless bantams. You will have cold ugly winter weather, and birds who want to stay in the coop many winter days. Plan for more space and hopefully a covered run also. Consider a storage shed from Home Depot and modify it, or build from scratch. Sometimes structures come available on CL, or from a neighbor. Maybe a garden shed? Build big, not small. Mary

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by