Need to trim/cut my Cockatoo's Nails! First time~ can anyone help?

tiffanyg2

Songster
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
SC
I really could use some advice on the best way to trim my very large parrots nails! I have a Moluccan Cockatoo and the nail trimmers I have seem to freak him out. He is really good with me and allows me to pet him everywhere but he is nervous about the nail trimming. I wish there was someone close by that could help show me how to do it. I absolutely refuse to go to a vets office because they nearly killed him last year after they clipped his wings completely wrong!! So from now on I will care for him. Could anyone who has knowledge and success with trimming parrots nails offer some advice for me. Thanks so much!

Here's my Baby...
88786_196.jpg

88786_214.jpg

88786_207.jpg

88786_202.jpg

Hello! One thing you can do, is just roll him up in a towel, and cover his face. Then he won't be able to struggle and get hurt. The towel just kind of holds him still.

Yes, just wrap him in a towel (you will need a helper) he won't be able to see the clippers, you don't have to cover his face. Have your helper hold him on his back on a table leaving both of your hands free. Just tip them (cut off a tiny bit) to take the point off the first time, the quick (nerve and blood supply) will grow back a little then do it again next week. Give him treats when you are done.

Ohhh thanks!! He is my baby for life... I traded a man for a parrot! LOL I need to find someone that can help with the towel trick. I'm definaetly going to buy different clippers though I don't think I like the pair I have very much. I want to get ones that snip differently... somebody had suggested Pedipaws as well~ any of you ever try that?

I always use dog toe nail trimmers on my birds. The guiliteen type. They won't shatter the nail like other clippers can.
smile.png

Quote:
OK thats the kind I have!!! And I am worried it is not cutting good enough? Again this is my first time trying to do this so it could be me~ but when I use it on the dogs sometimes it does splinter the nail. Maybe the quality of the one I have is poor? I am definately going to pick up a new clipper though this weekend. How do you go about clipping them... Do you towel your birds?

I keep cockateils and Lovebirds so I put on a thick pair of gloves and hold them upside down while my hubby does the trimming. I have never had trouble with the claws shattering, however I have a really good pair of clippers I got from the vets office. He told me if the blade gets dull, they won't cut properly. So it is possible that yours are dull. The vet recommened this type of trimmer for all birds claws.

As far as the Pedipaws, if they have never had a buzzing piece of equiment used on them, it could spell disaster and make them fearful in the future.

Oh, and you mentioned how it freaks him out to get his nails trimmed. I am not sure any bird "likes" to have his claws trimmed. I have some really old birds and they still freak out when the gloves and trimmers come out. One of my cockateils still looks like he goes in to shock everytime the nails are trimmed. But it has to be done and they do live thru it.

Back
Top Bottom