need water heater for winter, what do i look for?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by unclejohn, Aug 25, 2014.

1. unclejohn

unclejohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    i am looking for a small heater that i can just put on my waterer, what do i look for?

2. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

Look at the bird bath heaters on Amazon.

RJ

3. jknox1982

jknox1982 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    Muscle Shoals AL
    I read a post on here where the lady took a cookie tin, added a lamp fixture, put the top back on and put the water bowl on top. She says it works and cost less then $10. I plan on doing it this winter. Oh and the lady lived in Connecticut so it gets pretty cold. I will look for the post and let you know!! I had the same question for my hens.

FOUND THE LINK
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/107951/cookie-tin-water-heater

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Hang on...I'm finding the link to a great cheap way to heat your waterer...Pinterest is loading slow...be right back!

5. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    If you use a conventional waterer, here is my solution:

My waterer sits on top of a home-made wooden box. Heat tracing cable is sold in Homedepot. Coil it inside the cavity of the wooden box. Be sure to isolate the rings of the coil, no touching of the rings to each other. Cut a small hole on the top of the box to allow heat to rise to the bottom of the waterer. And that is it, just plug and play. The heat tracing cable comes with built-in thernostat.

This work the same way as the commercial fount heater base which is too large for my 1-gal waterer.

6. mamajo513

mamajo513 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    Kent, WA
    Anyone using a hanging waterer with a heater? We've only been at this a few weeks but want to be prepared by the time winter comes. Thanks!

7. urbanchicklove

urbanchicklove Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2014
    I use a heat lamp on a timer that I hang so it shines right onto the water. It goes off at night and on in early morning. It doesn't take long to melt the water if it has turned to ice unless it was an extra cold night.

This is the cheapest solution I have found.

1 person likes this.
  8. jknox1982

jknox1982 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    Muscle Shoals AL
    Yes I use hanging water paiils, I plan on using the cookie tin method I read about. They will have to be put on the ground by winter but for all I have read it will work and be well worth it. I also have the water hanging in the corner on a bamboo pole, so the girls can roost on it this winter when the sun sets. Also I made sure to have plenty of roost for all my girls in warm sunny spot both off the ground and on it. I got the girls in March and have been planning for winter since then since I am worried about frost bite and such. I live in AL and am not terribly worried but I fear this winter is going to be harsh and I am one of those crazy people who prepare for anything and everything. And I have been caught off guard already by my little ladies and am positive it will happen again.

I may add one thing I never thought about that this group has taught me is to have a first aid kit ready. When I got my youngest hens last week I put them in the big cope and didn't think they would fit threw the fence and they did!!! So Stella my biggest chick cut her back up pretty bad so I posted and found out I should have Blu-Kote on hand never heard of the stuff and now I have it researched it and will never not have it. I have learned so much from the group and honestly you read things here you would never find in a book. [​IMG]
    Good luck I am new too but if you need anything at all even to talk let me know
    Jenn

9. nancee

nancee New Egg

Jun 13, 2014
    I have a small flock of chickens, 19 and 4 adult ducks living together. Water in the winter is a big problem. Right now I carry buckets of water to the coop at least 2x daily. the ducks devour it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by