1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Watering Ideas

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ourlilfarm2015, Jun 2, 2016.

1. ourlilfarm2015

ourlilfarm2015 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    Northeast NE
    I am in need of a watering system for 10 chickens. I like the idea of the little cups attached to 5 gallon bucket they appear like they would stay cleaner is this accurate? How hard is it to get them to use it right now they are just a couple weeks old but they aren't as easy to tame as I was hoping they'd be. I am wondering if instead of the 5 gal bucket if I could use a clear storage tote (so I and whoever is chicken babysitting can easily see the water level is good without disturbing the while things). Or would a clear container more easily grow algae etc vs a 5 gal bucket? Also will a duck use the little cups as well? I am less concerned with them as they have a regularly cleaned out baby pool of water and they too did not tame down (even after raising them in my home for the first 2 months of their lives :|). And if the cups work which brand is best? I also looked at different options like the ones pictured. I also no not have electricity to the coop for keeping water thawed in winter and have to carry the refill water from the nearest hydrant that is not very close.

2. ourlilfarm2015

ourlilfarm2015 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    Northeast NE
    Or would the nipple waterers be even less messy/ easier to train?

3. roddycn1216

roddycn1216 Just Hatched

May 29, 2016
    I am new to chickens and did a lot of research and after going through the "run of the mill waterers" and seeing them CONSTANTLY dirty, I found the nipple waterers! These are so nice! My chicks are still currently in their brooder and it keeps the pine shavings nice and dry and my chicks have a constant supply of clean water. They are easy to install... 1 nipple per 5 birds.... and you need a relatively "rigid" bucket (not a milk jug). Just drill you some holes, screw in your nipples, get some silicone adhesive ( the waterproof stuff ) seal around all the nipples from the outside, let dry for 12 hours... and you're ready to go!! They don't really need training to them. Just take away their old waterer and they naturally peck at the shiny nipples and VOILA!

Oh and make sure you have some vent holes so they water can come out. HOPE THIS HELPS!

1 person likes this.
  4. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    I'm sold on the horizontal nipples in a 5 gallon bucket. Cheap and super efficient. Chicks caught on to them very quickly.

[​IMG]

5. Whittni

Whittni Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Nipple waterers are easy to train chickens on but I personally dislike them. Eventually they'll leak all over [​IMG]

6. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    I'm relatively new to chickens also, had them for two years now. I worry that the chickens don't drink as much with the nipple type waters.

7. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    I have 9 hens and use a 5 gallon water jug with 2 horizontal nippels on it. They work great i free range several hours each day and they usual empty it about once a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by