Need worming advice for tiny flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by leight54, Dec 10, 2012.

1. leight54

leight54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Posting under "Managing Your Flock", even though my "flock" consists of only 2 lovely ladies. My question is about worms and dewormer.

I suspect they have worms because they seem to be thinner than they were, but it's hard to tell be cause they seem to be in a constant state of molting! They haven't gone bald, but seem to be replacing feathers gradually. I haven't had eggs in months.

So my questions are:

1) Should I have their poop tested (my vet will do it) first, or just go ahead and treat with a broad spectrum dewormer?

2) Because there are only two of them, what would be the best way to administer it? I'd be willing to squirt it in their mouths - seems like that would be more exact, and less wasteful than adding it to their water, which I typically dump and replace daily.

3 )Where can I buy dewormer? We have an Agway and an independent feed store in town.

I know this topic had been covered a million times, but maybe someone with a similarly tiny flock can share their experiences?

Thanks!

2. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    I have a small flock of 5. I do have their poop tested. It costed me a bout $20.00 I take a small amount from several diferent poops. From the 3 times they have been tested it has come back negative for worms. But they have tested positive for cocci. So I just treat them for cocci. Mine are going through a molt right now, looks like they did loose weight, but I wonder if it's from all the feathers they have been loosing. I had heard that a molt can last 2 months for all their feathers to grow back.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree that taking poop samples to a vet is best for a small flock. FYI; all birds have cocci in their system and a microscopic slide will always show a few cocci present on the slide...that is normal, no worries. It's when the microscopic slide is filled with cocci is when there's a problem and birds will need to be treated.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You can purchase safeguard liquid goat wormer. Dosage is given orally undiluted, 1/2cc for standard size birds, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Repeat dosing in 10 days. Safeguard wormer is a good broad spectrum wormer, not expensive neither. Dont give it to them if your birds are in molt though.
    If they're in molt, purchase valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer. Administer and dose your chickens exactly the same way as with the safeguard liquid goat wormer.
    Inspect them for lice/mites as well.

1 person likes this.
  5. leight54

leight54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the advice! I'll hear back from the vet today on the worm situation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by