NEEDADVICE-RATS EATING CHICKS-GETTING DOG TO HELP-ADVICE PLEASE

jen61871

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Reinholds, PA
Hi
I am having trouble within the year since the farm next to us put cows in with rats. I'm 100% sure it's rats. I have seen them. I have lost at least 20 chicks/young chickens either chicks that are hatched outside with mama hen or chicks old enough to go outside that I ordered or incubated to rats.
We have been killing them but have decided we need a dog. Now this is where I need you all's advice. I know I have lot's and lot's of research to do, but personal experience is the best.
I assume I start with a puppy? Dog species recomendations? It will eventually be off a leash and we have 6 acres of land so how do I go about teaching it to stay where the chickens are. And the BIGGIE-kill the rats and any other bad animal but not my chickens????
Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.
Also I live in PA. Can I get a puppy and keep it outside almost all the time in the cold if it has a nice warm insulated doghouse?
Thanks so much in advance!!!!
Jen

a dog will not kill rats your better off using poison
Sorry to disagree I have had two that were pure naturals at it rats/mice. One 90lb German Shepherd Collie mix, and one absolute mutt terrier/pinscher/rottweiler mix who we trained to take the cats dang mice away when he brought them inside. Mice and rats never survived her crushing bite.

Sorry to disagree I have had two that were pure naturals at it rats/mice. One 90lb German Shepherd Collie mix, and one absolute mutt terrier/pinscher/rottweiler mix who we trained to take the cats dang mice away when he brought them inside. Mice and rats never survived her crushing bite.
that you trained without training they will not kill rats Ill stick to poison

that you trained without training they will not kill rats Ill stick to poison
Young playful dogs like squeek toys, rats and mice are good for a squeek. They are easy to train especially if it is a high energy type breed. Make a rat house with a 4x8' board 1 inch off the ground. Bring the dog over and tell them where to sniff out those rats. The dog will be frustrated because it cant get to the rats........do that 4-5 times. Your dog is now trained. Lift the board and watch the fun.

I reject poison as a viable alternative to a dog or cat, as if you free range a large breed like Bhrama ect when they locate that poisoned animal they might grab a free treat. It can further directly impact other species who clean up corpses. To each their own though, what works well for me might not work for you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom