Needed: Duck house ideas

I would suggest you look for used materials on Craigslist, OfferUp, Marketplace, Etc. I needed to build a grow-out coop for my ducklings this year but didn't have much of a budget for it. I've almost finished this one (it's 19.5 square feet) and so far I'm at around $20. It's made from a free shipping crate on Marketplace which served as all the walls, floor, ceiling, and door, a discounted gallon of waterproof stain for $9 at Home Depot, 1/4" hardware cloth for the window for $10 at our local bargain store, and 2 door hinges for $1 at Restore. I'm still keeping an eye out for roofing panels and a latch.

This is a great way to build a sturdy coop for cheap if you have the time to keep checking the ads and grabbing deals when you see them!

View attachment 3442825

View attachment 3442826
What creativity...you so rock! Thanks for the pics.

I would suggest you look for used materials on Craigslist, OfferUp, Marketplace, Etc. I needed to build a grow-out coop for my ducklings this year but didn't have much of a budget for it. I've almost finished this one (it's 19.5 square feet) and so far I'm at around $20. It's made from a free shipping crate on Marketplace which served as all the walls, floor, ceiling, and door, a discounted gallon of waterproof stain for $9 at Home Depot, 1/4" hardware cloth for the window for $10 at our local bargain store, and 2 door hinges for $1 at Restore. I'm still keeping an eye out for roofing panels and a latch.

This is a great way to build a sturdy coop for cheap if you have the time to keep checking the ads and grabbing deals when you see them!

View attachment 3442825

View attachment 3442826
This is such a great idea!

Got the framing painted and the waterproof floor in! I wish I was further along but am so busy lately. Tomorrow is another day!
20230326_210359.jpg

Hi All!

I have 2 Peking and 1 Cayuga. They will be full grown and ready for outside beginning of May. They will not be free range...housed in a pen away from predators.

Any suggestions for inexpensive housing ideas?
I saw somebody else suggest a movable covered walk in. I heartily second the idea! Housing ducks in a single pen never works well. It turns into a horrific stinking fly filled nightmare. If you use gravel, it causes Bumblefoot. We've used the kits you can buy but we pitch the chicken wire and cheap zip ties and use hardware cloth and heav y duty zip ties. We have a lot of dogs, and move their pens in an open area several hundred feet from any wooded area. All the open area and grass cut, with the dogs helps deter predators. You can do predator aprons that you could clip up onto the sides to move the pen. I've heard people do that. As long as you move it every day, and have 8-10 spots for the pen, you should be able to keep grass growing. I throw down some ryegrass in the Fall and Spring in any bare spots. With these movable pens we have no flies, no smell, the ducks get fresh grass and bugs daily, and they are truly happy and protected. It's not a waste to have a pen that is more for bad weather use. I've thought about making a few like that for when it's just too wet or muddy to put them out.

For a coop, make it much larger than you think you need. It needs to have water and electric available to it. Not sure how hot it is by you but heat kills them more than cold. We use an agricultural fan in the summers, even at night for the air circulation. We are lucky to have a barn so I'm not standing in the rain caring for them. I highly suggest a walk in shed and one a lot larger than you think you'll need. If it's much larger than the minimum, then you can go a long time between cleanings by turning over the bedding, removing some, and adding another layer. If it's small, you have to clean often. It may not seem like a big deal but it wears on how you feel about them. Make the correct infrastructure and it can be a lifetime hobby.

Back
Top Bottom