needs processors in Texas

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by maf2008, Feb 26, 2009.

1. maf2008

maf2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    This seems to be the only place to go! When I call meat market and chicken producers... seems none of them know a processor in Texas. I live in zip 77148 (near Austin, Sealy, Brookshire and Bellvile- Houston area here is my ad below.
    Hello

I am in Texas near Brenham area zip 77418. Please help me in location chicken processors (killed/cleaned and packaged) in my area. I will have about 30/50 each 5/6 months. Please advise on contacts and pricing is you have this.... standing by for your advice and I saw you on the website. Thank you.

Any advice? I just dont want to process my own chickens....thanks

2. jhill1440

jhill1440 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2008
    Central Texas
    Hello,

I have some bad news for you. I have been searching for someone to process birds for me for over a year now. I really want to get meat birds but don't want to until I find a processor.

Here is the best i could find:

http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/poultry_processors_results.php?Class=TX

This is a link to the ATTRA site that lists some small processors by state. The closest to me Houston. I have tried calling but never get a response. Maybe you will have better luck.

I think at this point I will be doing it myself and if I do I will be skinning them since it will be less hassle. My family does not eat the skin anyhow.

If you find someone please post as they will be in demand.

peace
    josh

3. maf2008

Feb 19, 2009
    I found someone.....

Near Dallas area ?

http://www.fransfryers.com name is Fran Sweet minimum run is 200 chickens and $3.00 per bird to process complete and packaged same day as kill There IS no one else in Texas and he is USDA certified processing plant. Nice guy knows his stuff!

office 972-617-8047.

Karma/Fran's Fryers

4. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
  5. Muzzleblast

Muzzleblast Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    TEXAS
    Quote:Milford is about 30 to 40 minutes south of Dallas. Interstate all the way from Dallas.

6. maf2008

Feb 19, 2009
    I found a possible source for processing here is an email I got ...

Good luck anyone in Texas I live only 45 minutes from College Station.

Mary Ann,

######### here is the reply below ##########

Some of the students at Texas A&M University Department of Poultry Science would likely be more than happy to process your birds. They have the equipment and man power. I would give them a call. Their number is available at gallus.tamu.edu.

Thank You,

Mikaela Fuchs

Ideal Poultry Breeding Farms, Inc.

Po Box 591

Cameron, Texas 76520

800-243-3257 ext. 5411

254-697-2393 Fax

http://www.idealpoultry.com/

7. ltlchicken

ltlchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    if you don't mind driving to houston, you can take them to harris country farms on miller road off of hwy 90 near crosby. it's $3 per bird. you need to bring your own cooler with ice. they cut it up if you'd like for free and bag it. otherwise, it's whole unbagged. they also separate the gizzards, liver, etc and bag that for you. i always have them separate and bag the feet for me so i can use it for stock and also have a couple cut up so i don't have to cut it up at home.

for 50 birds, i think it took about 2 hours, maybe less. we were there when it opened around 9am and i was out of there by 11 if i remember correctly.

otherwise, that texas a&m info sounds great.

8. Morgaine

Morgaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
  9. maf2008

Feb 19, 2009
    perfect! even better. This is only 30/45 minutes from my ranch in Bellville. many thanks. Do you "purge" your young birds meaning do you just water and not feed 2 days prior to the processing? all advice is appreciated. thanks this sounds like a wonderful place to start. [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by