Negative impact of removing the rooster from the flock?

Agathe

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
We have a flock of 9 hens and a roo. The rooster has always been friendly, up until recently. The roo and the older hens are a year and a half while the new additions are just a few months. The problem arose around the time when the new hens became mature and the rooster started seeing them as part of the flock, although that may be completely coincidental. He's attacked me a couple of times. Both times I've picked him up in front of the hens and carried him around. Because I've been sick I haven't been able to do this daily as I probably should have. He hasn't attacked my son, but my son tends to pick him up and carry him around a lot anyways. Any good tips on ridding the roo of aggression is welcomed, but my main question is what I can expect of the rest of the flock if I take him out. Will it impact them negatively? He does a good job of providing for all of them and clearly he isn't afraid to attack someone bigger than himself, but I won't keep him if he keeps being aggressive towards me. I won't introduce a new rooster this time of the year if it comes to that, but would try to get a new one in spring.

You are perfectly describing why I keep my jerk rooster, Billy Boy. He is great with the hens, he keeps "his" girls together and tidbits for them. I think it would upset them if I took away their protector. When they are loose during the day and wander up by the fence line, he's right there with them, keeping watch.

But he used to attack me Every Time he saw me. Ironically, I rehomed the other rooster chick who came here when Billy did because Pauly picked on Billy.

I tried all the usual methods of getting Billy Boy to stop attacking me. Eventually, I turned the tables on him, and every time I spotted him -- even if he was being completely calm and leaving me alone -- I ran directly at him and yelled. Now, when he sees me turn toward him, he takes off. Disclaimer: He still goes after OTHER people -- until I instruct them to also run at him and yell.

BTW, I think he accepts me as the dominant member of the flock, but he's not so terrified of me that he won't come right up, nicely now, when I am tossing out treats. A boy's gotta eat, right?

There's not really a magic cure for it. You can teach him not to bully you, but he still may flog new people- because they're new, and he doesn't know them.
The hens may bicker if you cull him- he is, as roosters do, keeping the peace. With him gone someone else will rise to take his place. Depends on the birds how peaceful, or not, this will be.
Personally, I would deal with his attitude for now, try to get him to chill out, because going into winter I would prefer to have a rooster than not. Also they are usually worse in their first spring, so his age is a bonus. He may settle down again especially if you're firm with him about his place.

You may see some temporary squabbling amongst the hens as they reestablish the pecking order. The hens, at first, may not range as far from coop without a rooster showing them the way. Some hens may miss him, others may be delighted by his absence. But, as others have said, they will get over it.

I'm pretty aggressive about culling roosters with undesirable traits. Life's too short and there are too many good roos in need of flocks. Plus, they make good gumbo.

Thank you all of you for your input and insights! I'll will try to keep him if I can but my main concern is the rooster attacking kids who are visiting or even the postman for that sake. He's never so far shown any aggression towards strangers and there might be something about me that he finds threatening, but I want people to feel safe coming home to us. Even I am more hesitant around them already because I don't know when he might come flying at me. He has been the friendliest of roosters so far and also great with his girls so it would be sad to lose him.

In a feral or a coopless and completely free-ranging flock the loss or removal of the rooster can create chaos. The flock may dissolve as hens or cliques of hens wander off. They will join other flocks in the area if there are any. Their salvation is a young bachelor who has been living alone out on the periphery all along to avoid getting beat up.

The reigning rooster is the glue. Equal Rights for Roosters..

Last edited:
my main concern is the rooster attacking kids who are visiting or even the postman for that sake.

This is a serious concern.

If someone is injured and it is discovered that you knew the rooster was aggressive then you're vulnerable to legal action -- just like keeping a known vicious dog.

Back
Top Bottom