Neglected Rooster

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by MrsRevDr, Nov 10, 2011.

1. MrsRevDr

MrsRevDr Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Every Day on my way into town I see a white cochin rooster on the side of the busy highway, I've seen him for months. I'm pretty sure he belongs to a trailer as I've seen him in their fenced in yard, either that or he jumps the fence to scratch around. I've seen no other chickens in the yard, I can't believe he hasn't got hit by a car. He looks healthy. Is it neglectful to leave him? I would feel bad if I drove by and saw that he had been hit by a car. I was thinking of knocking on the door of the trailer and offering to take him, or should I just mind my own business?

2. wvchickenhouse

wvchickenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Pax, WV
    I say knock on the door and just ask if it's theirs? Then ask if they want it? That's sad... he would probably have a better home with you [​IMG]

3. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    wvchickenhouse
    2x

he need to be taken care of and safe.

4. MissChicken

MissChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    Canada
    Quote:I agree. If they don't want to let him go, at least make them aware of the dangers of him being near the highway....

5. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Yes, ask if he's theirs. I mean, if it was, they're doing a really bad job of keeping him safe. But you could probably offer him a friendly home- safe, and lots of love!

6. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Leave him be. He has apparently learned to survive while enjoying his freedom. Not everyone has the same standards for keeping animals.

Personally, I think a short life of roaming the world is better than a long life in a cage. Survival skiills passed down improve the line.

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I agree.. Except on the note that the people live by a busy highway.. He could easily get hit by a car.. Or someone could swerve and get in an accident with someone in the opposite lane to avoid him.

Either way, I think he would be better where it is safer.

8. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    There are sick people out there who go out of their way to hit animals. I've seen it...it makes me ill.
    You never know.
    I'd say it's worth trying!
    I'd definitely go ask about him.

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If it was me, and the roo was off their property, I would just take him. Yes I would. Obviously they don't care if he dies.

10. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I'd probably just take him, too.....and then get a tremendous ear bashing at home as I already have 8 roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by